PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

steering and front end noise

Old 04-20-2006, 02:13 AM
Default steering and front end noise

We have a new H3, maybe 900 miles now. Today the car developed a clunk noise in the front end, I really get it loud and constant if I slalom. Seems to be in the steering or suspension. It sometimes also clunks when braking or accelerating straight, but I get it consistently turning left and right at slow speed...

Anybody else have experience with this?

Old 04-20-2006, 11:55 AM
Default RE: steering and front end noise

have you done any offroading with it, maybe mashed the skidplate? the quickest test would be to remove your skidplate, and see if it goes away. my skidplate raises a racket all the time, i'm used to it now, and tightening the bolts only works for about half a day. unless you can feel the clunk through the steering wheel or floor, i'd try that first. that way if it doesn't go away, that's less time the dealer needs for drive testing to duplicate, so it would need to come off anyway. or if you don't want to take it off, check to make sure all the bolts are tight.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:39 PM

no, no offroading whatsoever, vehicle is new, ca. 800 miles. I think something is loose on steering or suspension = poor build quality??

Old 04-23-2006, 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: shortbus

have you done any offroading with it, maybe mashed the skidplate? the quickest test would be to remove your skidplate, and see if it goes away. my skidplate raises a racket all the time, i'm used to it now, and tightening the bolts only works for about half a day. unless you can feel the clunk through the steering wheel or floor, i'd try that first. that way if it doesn't go away, that's less time the dealer needs for drive testing to duplicate, so it would need to come off anyway. or if you don't want to take it off, check to make sure all the bolts are tight.
If the bolts on the front skid plate are loosening up that frequently use some medium loctite on them.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: dkennel

no, no offroading whatsoever, vehicle is new, ca. 800 miles. I think something is loose on steering or suspension = poor build quality??

At 800 miles, I'd be having the dealer check it out. All kinds of bushing, ball joints, etc that could be contributing.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: dkennel

We have a new H3, maybe 900 miles now. Today the car developed a clunk noise in the front end, I really get it loud and constant if I slalom. Seems to be in the steering or suspension. It sometimes also clunks when braking or accelerating straight, but I get it consistently turning left and right at slow speed...

Anybody else have experience with this?
Did you ever get this fixed? If so, what wsa it......I'm having the same "clunks" when braking or accelerating. 400 miles on my truck.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:47 PM

I am experiencing the same noise. Does anyone know the cause of the noise?

Thanks in advance.

JJ

Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM

anyone figure this out yet? i am getting the same noises when turning

Old 10-12-2011, 10:21 AM

I have an h3 08' I have been having the same problem for the last 6 months. Started around 50,000 miles. Started while backing up and turning. Progressively gets worse and when coming to a stop. the dealer has replace crossbars, and re-lubed transfer case. Noise comes back after a couple of weeks. This last time they replaced bushings and added something to crossbars. Noise came right back and it is doing the same thing and will be getting worse. I'm up in the air? Waiting for the dealer to contact me. But I would take it back to dealer, they are keeping mine under warranty and I'm at 67,000 miles. If I find anything out, will post it.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by sheldon007
I have an h3 08' I have been having the same problem for the last 6 months. Started around 50,000 miles. Started while backing up and turning. Progressively gets worse and when coming to a stop. the dealer has replace crossbars, and re-lubed transfer case. Noise comes back after a couple of weeks. This last time they replaced bushings and added something to crossbars. Noise came right back and it is doing the same thing and will be getting worse. I'm up in the air? Waiting for the dealer to contact me. But I would take it back to dealer, they are keeping mine under warranty and I'm at 67,000 miles. If I find anything out, will post it.
I would be happy to set up a case for you as well. Please feel free to contact me privately with more information and I will be able to take further steps. You can also contact me via email at socialmedia@gm.com. Be sure to address the email to Tricia. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: steering and front end noise