PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Starting problems with the H3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 PM

yes when it's solid the truck fires, if you try to start and some reason it doesn't then the passlock activates and the security light will flash for about 10 min then you can restart.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:47 PM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Sounds like is a passlock failure. The Passlock in my ignition housing kicked the bucket back in March. Same situation as you. Good starter, good battery, connections fine, just the check engine light on (which goes off as soon as the engine actually turns over) and the flashing security light. Dealership replaced it under warranty. Haven't had a problem since... ::knocking on wood::

Old 08-12-2010, 08:36 AM

Ya mine is out of warranty

Old 08-13-2010, 03:29 AM
Location: The Empire State... should be called The Nanny State

Originally Posted by bigdog100
Ya mine is out of warranty
Shouldn't be too big of an expense. When they did mine it said Passlock HSG Fault and the only parts that were replaced were the Ignition Lock Housing Cylinder Case replaced, a housing, and a bolt. Took a little less than an hour to do. I guess if you're handy with tools you should be able to DIY however I'm not sure what may be involved electronically such as if the PCM needs to be reflashed or reset in some way to accept the new passlock cylinder or anything like that.
Let us know how you make out

Old 08-14-2010, 02:23 PM

Well not going to bring in yet b/c it has been fine. The trick is to hold key and don't use the autostart.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:00 PM
Default Finally....an answer to this quandry!

Replace the ignition switch and not be stranded any more!

Rockauto.com has replacement Ignition Switches for around $46. You can easily find a 5% online discount code to rockauto to save a few bucks.

1. Use a torx screwdriver and remove the 3 screws under the steering column.
Remove the 2 piece shroud. Move the steering wheel tilt lever around to facilitate the removal.

2. On the left side under the steering column you'll see a black circular plastic "case" with a connector plugged into it. That's the ignition switch!

3. Remove the connector.

4. Unscrew the 2 Phillips screws used to attach the ignition switch.

5. Turn the ignition key to the "run" position and you can easily remove the ignition switch.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM

Thanks for this tip, now I can fix my wife's ignition for less than my deductible on my extended warranty!!!
I will let you guys know how it goes...

Old 10-15-2010, 08:23 PM

my 07 did this twice in as many weeks....security lamp would flash......cuts off injectors...had to let sit til light went solid...10min......under warranty, dealer said passlock shorted out.....so far soo good

Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM

Mine Happens about 3 to 4 times a year. It seems to only happen when I try to use the remote start. Does anyone know the actually part number for a 2008 H3?

Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Having this same problem! Started right after I bought it, shoot some Graphite lube in the key hole which helped for a few weeks. Then bam.... again this morning. This problem is not related to hot or cold engine, its related to the cheap tumbler they built in it and Im gonna have to replace it. Only about $60 on ebay!!! Thanks for the thread! RED BLINKING SECURITY LIGHT ON THE DASH will let you know you have the "IGNITION DEATH!"

Quick Reply: Starting problems with the H3?