PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something stinks !

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Default Something stinks !

OK, I've had enough....
This problem only manifests itself when I do this:
[ol][*]I turn on the rear window defroster.[*]I have the A/C fan set on (1) and the re-circulate button pushed.[/ol]
When either of these options are selected I notice a burning wire smell in the cabin. No smoke, just an acrid, foul tasting smell in the cabin. No, it's not me, I do take showers occasionally. I have thought if I let it go long enough it would either burn off what's causing the smell or burn slap up. Neither has happened yet and when it does happen I can taste the dang thing for hours after I get out of the truck. I know I should take it to the dealer and I will soon, but I'd kinda like to know what it may be so they can't BS me when Iget there. Not that a dealer has ever tried to blow smoke up my [sm=smiley35.gif]but hey! It could happen!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:48 AM
Default RE: Something stinks !

I bought my H3 with 4,000 miles on it. There is a putrid smell from the vent with heat and A/C. I had it to the dealer and they said it was cigarette smell and they could flush my system for $120. I have smoked in my Ford Conversion van for 12 years and don't have this smell. The original owner of my H3 must have tried to commit suicide by smoking to have this much smell in 4,000 miles. And why does the H3 not have a cabin filter? I think even the Hyundai's have a cabin filter.

Gerry

Old 11-10-2007, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Try this, it is specially formulated.

Name:  makecappedimagetb0.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  15.6 KB

Have you had any Battery issues? If not, condensation has/had built up in your primary air ducts and you may have mildew/mold. Lysol and a lot of it can help, but you'll have to put up with that smell for days in hopes of erradicating the original culprit. Good luck.

Old 11-10-2007, 09:34 AM

I used to work for Toyota and when we had issues like this is usually meant you have something stuck in the Vents. Thats why this usually happens when you have the circulation on. Alot of times we found dead rats and stuff inside the engine.....Not saying this is the issue but i would look into that ......

Old 11-10-2007, 12:04 PM

No, no, no...It's nota dead animal smell, a toe-jam smell or a gym sock smell. It's burning wires and hot ballast smell. Very acrid: ac·rid /ˈækrɪd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ak[/b]-rid] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–adjective

sharp or biting to the taste or smell; bitterly pungent; irritating to the eyes, nose, etc.: acrid smoke from burning rubber.

extremely or sharply stinging or bitter; exceedingly caustic: acrid remarks. [/align]
[hr]

[Origin: 1705–15; < L Äcr-[/i] (s. of Äcer[/i]) sharp, sour + -id4, perh. through influence of acid[/align][/align]

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM

well,at least we know you dont have a gas problem comin out your azz....lol

Old 11-11-2007, 03:16 AM

It's hard to say what the problem may be since you are getting it from two totaly unrelated systems. [sm=dontgetit.gif]

Old 11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

You have to have the AC on AND the rear defrogger to get the smell? Steve#1, I agree, why both? You are sure it is not just from the defrogger, that would be my first suspect??

Old 11-12-2007, 02:03 PM

Nope, both do not have to be on.
One OR the other has to be on and the smell is the same. I'm baffled and the only similiarity I can find between them both is they are both push buttons on the climate control panel.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM

I have the same type of issue, mine only seems to happen after driving the expressway with wet roads. Shut down my heat and open windows, issue goes away. Have never smelled it driving regular roads that are wet or not. also do not smell it on dry days.