PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Should I sell my H3 for Rubicon?

Old 05-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Default Should I sell my H3 for Rubicon?

I hate the thought of selling my 2006 H3 with only 8000 miles. It runs perfect with the 35" BFG/MT's and it is the best off roader I ever owned and I owned them all including the FJ40, International Scout, Pathfinder, V8 CJ7,etc.
I am just afraid that if Hummer goes out of business I will not be able to get parts or service. I was thinking of a 4 door Rubicon and while it is nice with a small lift IMO NOTHING looks as nice as my H3 with the 35''s. The 35"'s really change to whole look and make it more likea heavy duty truck by filling up those BIG wheel wells.

Question 1;
Do you think Hummer will go out of business and shut down? and if so parts will be impossible to get right?
Question 2;
What is the most I can get for my new looking, new driving H3 with only 8000 miles. It is in perfect, perfect condition and would come with two complete sets of wheels and tires - the 5 factory wheels with the BFG/35'MT's and 5 other factory wheels with never used 285-75-16 that came with it.
I thought I would keep this H3 forever as it is just a beautiful looking vehicle and just fix it as it needed.
I was thinking $25,000 with the extra wheels/tires, low miles and no sales tax.

Last edited by skeeet; 05-11-2009 at 01:46 AM. Reason: want notification
Old 05-11-2009, 03:22 AM

Hummer is going to be sold to another automaker.
You will have all the parts you need. The Government requires 10 years of part availability for any car sold in the USA.

Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 AM

We have heard many ill ideas involving the Hummer branch of GM, nothing as drastic as stopping production as announced for Pontiac has happened as yet. Hummer is a viable and desirable vehicle to own, just not by the masses.
Knowing all of GM's problems back in the beginning of the year I bought an 08 Hummer H3, I am not at all concerned with issues of warranty.

By the way, I too owned a V8 CJ-7 with quadra-trac and the high/low transfer case.
It was a Golden Eagle I bought it new. Nothing off road could stop it, but it wasn't to good at street driving and I had to replace everything on it except the front and rear diffs, the tranny and transfer case, everything else, and I mean everything else broke.
I owned it for ten years, but all the problems started when new, it leaked when it rained, then the engine blew just out of the 12 month warranty, the list goes on.
I liked it despite its faults and kept it for ten years.

Old 05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

A lot of GM parts are used through Hummer. Like colorado parts are used on Hummers and some other parts are used transferable etc.. Parts should be relatively easy to find for a very long time if Hummer just got shut down, but I doubt that to happen. It has a good marketing niche where Pontiac never could get a proper niche.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:32 PM

GM will still be around and you will be able to get it serviced. Let's not forget Jeep is a Crysler product. AS White08H3 states - the parts are mostly the same as the Chevy Colorado/GMC Canyon. I don't think you have anything to worry about by sticking with the Hummer. I don't think you would ask the question on a Hummer forum if you really wanted to trade it in on a Jeep anyway.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:41 PM

GM must have parts for ten years I retired laet october Law sayes parts must run that long I will not sell mine///

Old 05-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Nobody even mentioned parts will also be available from the grave yards too. I can still get parts for my 40 year old oldsmobiles and............how long has olds been gone?

I'd be more worried about what to get for grilling over the holiday weekend than Hummer disappearing along with all of its replacement parts.

Old 05-12-2009, 02:44 AM

Yes Yes & yes our wonderful Fed govmnt says parts have to be available for 10 years on any car sold to the general public & eventually if not already there will be plenty of parts in bone yards. Plus Crysler is in the same boat as GM if you want a car from someone who's not going under this year I'd buy a ford.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Remember Jeep is part of Chrysler and they are seen as going belly up. Just keep your Hummer.

Bob

Old 05-12-2009, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chameleon
By the way, I too owned a V8 CJ-7 with quadra-trac and the high/low transfer case.
It was a Golden Eagle I bought it new. Nothing off road could stop it, but it wasn't to good at street driving and I had to replace everything on it except the front and rear diffs, the tranny and transfer case, everything else, and I mean everything else broke.
I owned it for ten years, but all the problems started when new, it leaked when it rained, then the engine blew just out of the 12 month warranty, the list goes on.
I liked it despite its faults and kept it for ten years.
There is no comparison of the CJ7 V8 Golden Eagle (love those btw) to a new Wrangler JK Rubicon Unltd. I think you will find the JK Rubi to be very comparable to the H3 as a driver except it is an open body vehicle. You could drive it as a primary vehicle no problem, whereas the CJ7 takes a little more of a forgiving nature. I drove a CJ7 as a daily driver for several years at one point, and I currently own a JK Rubi Unltd.

That said, I would not sell your H3 in anticipation of a catastrophic loss in value. In fact, I think if you sold it today, you would take that big loss now, or drive it for a couple more years and see a fairly equal loss. I do recommend owning both.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Should I sell my H3 for Rubicon?