PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rotor resurfacing bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Default Rotor resurfacing bulletin

A while back I had posted on here about my rotors being warped - as I was told by a non GM mechanic, but told by the Hummer dealership the rotors were slightly warped, but since they were not rusted there was nothing they could do with them and said I should just drive it. Well Idid just that and the pulsation had become more prominent since then. I took m H3 back to the mechanic across the street and he drove my truck back over to my work and handed me a TSB from Alldata regrding GM brakes and rotor resurfacing- he said I have a guy working for me who worked for GM for 5 years and we both said this should be covered under your warranty. So I made an appt. with the Hummer dealership and took in the bulletin the other mechanic gave me. I get a call at work and they tell me oh well this bulletin only covers the rear rotors. Is this true?? I had to pay them $90 to turn the front rotors last week. I also had to have the rear passanger door handle replaced because it was binding due to corrosion and I had to have both "brains" for the the heated seats changed because the heated seats kept coming on by themselves while I would be driving.

I couldn't understand why this bulletin would only cover rear rotors. I read it over and over and it doesn't say ANYWHERE that it pertains to rear rotors only and I tell you another thing, I still have the pulsation while braking. I don't think they did anything with the front rotors other than charge me to turn them. Could the pulsation be caused from something else? The weird thing is I feel this pulsation when I press on the gas pedal at times as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I also find it odd that when I originally took my H3 in back in May that they said they couldn't do anything under warranty whenin fact they cold have because this bulletin was put out in June 2006. Why did it take me bringing the paperwork in to get them to take care of it...well half of it?

Old 10-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Default RE: Rotor resurfacing bulletin

ORIGINAL: jen813

Could the pulsation be caused from something else? The weird thing is I feel this pulsation when I press on the gas pedal at times as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated
Steering shaft?

Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 AM

i didnt know it had rotors on the rear,i thought these had drums,i never botthered to look,anyhow,i understand your argument,but new rotors arent very expensive,you can put them on yourself if you have a lug wrench and a 10-15mm wrench,not sure what size it is,i hate resurfacing rotors,

Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Jen; here is the TSB re: the rear brakes, try reading this thread H3 brakes problem and this linkposted by a memberhere f5fstop at another forum, he knows his stuff.

Brakes Grunt, Groan, in Rear
Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3
Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.
Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.
REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.
Correction
Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.
Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).
If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.

If you would please provide the TSB # that you took to the dealer, I would like to see which one it is. Thanks.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:18 PM

If he's feeling it in the gas pedal he should check the "steering shaft" posts. Mine used to clunk and rattle when braking too.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:35 PM

The TSB that I was given was : 00-05-22-002H from June of 06.

I also just called the dealer and told them that I am still feeling a pulsation in the brakes as well in the gas pedal and as soon as I said that he said bring it in, there is a TSB on he steering shaft and it takes about 25 minutes to fix. So I take it in Friday for that.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

Yes Jen, that is the TSB 00-05-22-002H JUN 06 "Brakes - Warranty Service Guidelines & Procedures" that I do not have the full text for. [:@]

If you have an 06 H3, you may in fact have the steering shaft problem TheNEWpart # is 25900714- Shaft - Lower Steering
GM Bulletin #07-02-45-006

Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 PM

Bulletin 07-02-35-006, and been replaced by #07-02-35-006B and does NOT include 06 Hummers. I am not implying that an intermediate steering shaft on any vehicle, including 06 Hummers can’t go bad, but this bulletin is only for 07 Hummers (and Colorado/Canyon) due to the new designed that was initiated on this platform in 07.

Subject: Clunk or Knock Noise Heard and/or Felt Through Steering Wheel or Brake and Accelerator Pedals (Replace Lower Steering (Intermediate) Shaft) #07-02-35-006B - (10/18/2007)
Models: 2007 Chevrolet Colorado, 2007 GMC Canyon, 2007 HUMMER H3 with 3.7L Inline 5 Cylinder Engine (VIN E -- RPO LLR)

This bulletin is being revised to provide important steps to follow when replacing the lower I-shaft. Refer to "Important" information found in the Correction Section of this bulletin. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-02-35-006A (Section 02 -- Steering).

Condition
Some customers may comment on a clunk or knock noise being heard or felt through the steering wheel and/or brake and accelerator pedals. This issue may be more prevalent in hotter temperatures.
Cause
This condition may be caused by a slip/stick condition in the lower steering (intermediate) shaft.

As for bulletin 00-05-22-002H it is now a J revision:
SUBJECT: Disc Brake Warranty Service and Procedures #00-05-22-002J - (05/15/2007)

It is primarily an informational bulletin to the technicians on how to check for rotor variations due to warping, or lateral runout, along with the correct way to turn a rotor and submit for a warranty claim.

The entire bulletin is about twelve pages long, so I won’t post here.

However, brake pulsation is covered under warranty and the dealers are given labor operations to use for brake warranty service. Another however, is that under most circumstances the brakes are not actually warped. To warp the type of ventilated rotor used on the H3 is pretty hard, but not impossible. What sometimes happens, that is cured by turning the rotor is pad build-up on the rotor, causing the pulsation feeling in the brake pedal.
However, if the pulsation is felt through the steering wheel at slow speeds, I would look at other areas too:
Easiest in my opinion is to pull off the front wheel/tires and check the balance of the assemblies. Unbalanced front wheels will give a pulsation during braking and during slow speed acceleration. After the wheel starts turning faster, they are less likely to pulsate. (If you have the Goodyear Wranglers, I personally would look at those first. My opinion (and this is mine from personal experience), they have a propensity to become unbalanced too easily.) If the tires are Bridgestone tires, it is less likely, but still could be a balance problem. (Balance problem could be due to many things, including a spun internal belt on the tire.)
You can rotate the tires from front to back and if the pulsation now is in your butt, it will be the tires.
Next to look at is the radial runout of the rotor to the hub. If this is out of spec, you will get a pulsation during acceleration and while braking.
Last would be a bearing/hub assembly, but that usually causes a pulsation during high speed braking and at low speeds is not felt, unless the bearing is shot to sh*t at which time you should be hearing a grinding noise in the front.

Old 10-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

f5fstop: thanks for dropping by with the updates.[sm=smiley20.gif]Haven't seen ya around in a while, please drop in any time and often. Bring updates and doughnuts

Old 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

Jen; here is the TSB re: the rear brakes, try reading this thread H3 brakes problem and this linkposted by a memberhere f5fstop at another forum, he knows his stuff.

Brakes Grunt, Groan, in Rear
Subject: Brakes Grunt, Groan, Grinding Noise from Rear When Vehicle Comes to a Stop (Refinish Rear Rotors) #07-05-23-004 - (09/26/2007)
Models: 2006-2008 HUMMER H3
Condition
Some customers may comment on a grunt, groan or grinding noise coming from the rear of the vehicle when coming to a stop.
Cause
Rotor corrosion generates a slip-stick condition transferring vibration through the suspension.
REPLACE THE ROTORS ONLY IF THE ROTOR THICKNESS IS BELOW THE MINIMUM THICKNESS SPEC AFTER REFINISH.
Correction
Refinish the rear rotors by removing 0.4 mm from both rear rotor surfaces.
Do not replace the brake pads unless the condition requires it (i.e. excessively worn, damaged, or contaminated).
If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. This allows parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.

If you would please provide the TSB # that you took to the dealer, I would like to see which one it is. Thanks.
I had this exact problem, they had to resurface the rotors twice. After the first time the noise came back. The 2nd time they resurfaced the rotors with a swirl pattern, that seemed to work as the noise has not come back.

Quick Reply: Rotor resurfacing bulletin