PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof/Onstar Speaker Leaking ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:57 AM
Default Roof/Onstar Speaker Leaking ?

Guys, This is the second time I noticed this. First time it was just a few droplets and thougth maybe just a coincidence of some kind so I let it go. Last night it rained and today I was driving to work getting on the main road and the street I turn from had a downhill slop on it so my truck was lower in the front. I suddenly feel water comming down on my hands and pants. I looked up and sure enough the whole area where the little speaker used for onstar/phone is wet and dripping.
Has anyone experienced this ? I have already had the sunroof clogged and flodding my truck last year, they had to replace all passanger side carpets. Any ideas? I really hate going to the dealer but it seems like my H3 is destined to be broken. I can't even imagine trying to count how many times I had it serviced for various problems.
For those that might not have one, the speaker is right by driver's head, next to the sunroof on the driver side.

Last edited by Raffi76; 03-09-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:09 PM

A similar thing happend to me. I had a leak coming through my onstar MIC. I took it in and it turned out to be a leaky windshield seal. The dealer had to take the windshield out and re-seat it. Apparently this was an issue with a lot of 2007 - 2008 GM's.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by IdahoH3
A similar thing happend to me. I had a leak coming through my onstar MIC. I took it in and it turned out to be a leaky windshield seal. The dealer had to take the windshield out and re-seat it. Apparently this was an issue with a lot of 2007 - 2008 GM's.
Thanks Idaho! I guess I will be calling the dealer once again Mine is an 06 but I guess it could be the same problem.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:00 PM

Wait, before you go in -- I had the exact same thing happening. It would leak at really strange times -- usually after it rained the night before. And then I'd get soaked.

They said they took some part off the top right above it and cleaned the leaves and gunk out of it. Its dark now.. and honestly I didn't look into it. But go right above that speaker spot and see if theres something clogged. I think theres a drain spot that gets clogged and then it directs everything out towards that speaker.

hope that helps.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 PM

lord, is the part I am looking for on the outside, on the top the car ? or should I remove the speaker cover and stick my finger in there ? Mine also drips after rainfall ofcourse. The weird part is after I put my finger between the trim and metal and move it around..... it all seems pretty dry.

The clogging happened last year when my car got flodded, but that was cleared up at the time when I brought it to the dealer, I guess its possible its clogged on driver side now too ? I would think they check both sides. They say its a part of the sunroof that gets clogged.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:58 PM

Do you have a sun roof? If so poss, the drain tubes are clogged. Dealer will fix it!

Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Do you have a sun roof? If so poss, the drain tubes are clogged. Dealer will fix it!
Yeah that sounds right -- that its due to the sun roof.

Honestly I can't remember where they told me to check if it happens again. They seemed to think that I could have unclogged it myself... but this was over a year ago and my wife took it in.. so I'm not sure on all the details.

Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM

Yes I have a sunroof I think wrote in my first post that those were unclogged last year when my car got flodded so I would hope they did not clogg up again after just a few short months. I guess I will check it out.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:46 PM

I'm having the same problem. Going to check it out this weekend.

Old 01-01-2011, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by PhenyxH3
I'm having the same problem. Going to check it out this weekend.
If you park under maple or pine trees, the drains can clog up every week if you open your sunroof before driving off.

It's best to only open the roof after driving over 40 mph first so that all the little tree dirt has a chance to blow off of your roof first.

Quick Reply: Roof/Onstar Speaker Leaking ?