PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof cross bar advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Default Roof cross bar advice

Decided to pop for a set of roof rack cross bars. After MUCH research, I decided the 'great deals' on e-bay for the aftermarket type isn't worth the problems that go along with them (locking levers snapping off, keys bending, locks hard to operate, bars shifting with heavy loads, gaps between the end cover and side rails, etc.). The GM oem's are available in 'bright' and 'gray'. I'm hoping the gray are actually black, and will match close with the roof trim. Can any of you guys with the factory grays confirm?

Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Wink

Broken Halo,
I have the "gray" GM OEM cross bars on my H3T & they are closer to black than gray & do match the roof trim. If you are going after the blacked-out look for your H3, this is the cross bar that you will want to get since the "bright" one is chrome.

BTW, from your post, I can only assume that you haven't yet cranked your T-bars! (just kidding, it's an inside joke )

Last edited by Bigunit; 08-27-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:31 PM

Yeah man, you're not reaping the benefits.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM
Premium Sponsor
Default grey crossbars

Yes Big unit is correct, I was the parts and accessory director for a HUMMER Dealership for 11 years and this has always been sort of a confussion to people. Grey is black and will match all of the black trim and bright is aluminum, polished to give it a chrome style look. For sure you want to stay away from the aftermarket crossbars. They will drive you crazy from the noise they make. They are terrible in every sense of the word. GM part # 12498482 for the black (gray). I can sale them to you for $350.00 plus freight if you dont have another spot to get them. Good Luck and have a great day....
please call or email if you need any help

Old 08-28-2010, 05:39 PM

Boy did I luck out!! Been checking Craigslist, and some guy in my area posted a set of the OEM cross bars, used only once, FOR $90! Only problem was, they were the bright polished. At that price I couldn't pass them up if they were bright pink! I got them home, completely disassembled them, scuffed up the cross bars, and rattle canned them with Dupli Color Truck Bed Liner. They came out GORGEOUS! On a side note....anyone considering the aftermarket type, I discovered the BIG difference. Aftermarkets advertise stainless steel crossbars, which sounds impressive...BUT...the OEM's are 1/8" thick extruded aluminum, which handles 250lbs. weight as opposed to the thin gauge, formed, stainless steels that only handle 150lbs.