PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rhino lining all faded plastic parts...

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM
Default Rhino lining all faded plastic parts...

Good idea? Bad idea?
I have read so many mixed things saying it adheres to plastic just fine and some saying it does't and peels off over time.

Also, would it be easy to clean you guys think?

Old 09-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by bruceg
Good idea? Bad idea?
I have read so many mixed things saying it adheres to plastic just fine and some saying it does't and peels off over time.

Also, would it be easy to clean you guys think?

It's been done looks and cleans great, only thing to worry about is maybe fading.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:31 PM

Krylon Fusion in Satin Black is a better alternative that will hold up longer and look factory, provided you put it on nice, even, and not too thick.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
Krylon Fusion in Satin Black is a better alternative that will hold up longer and look factory, provided you put it on nice, even, and not too thick.
I'm far from a professional painter so I don't like the idea of spray paint.
I think bed liner would be more forgiving. Only thing I'm concerned about is fading... I wander if I could clear coat it or something??

Old 09-05-2012, 11:02 PM

Apply a couple coats of mothers back to black. If you do this every car wash it should look like new!

Old 09-06-2012, 07:22 AM

Cool, sounds like a have a project for the weekend

Old 09-06-2012, 08:24 AM

I use Wizards brand "Black Renew" on all of our vehicles. Works great. I use the entire line of Wizards products for wax, etc. Not the cheapest stuff, but by far the best I've ever used.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by mgoblue85
I use Wizards brand "Black Renew" on all of our vehicles. Works great. I use the entire line of Wizards products for wax, etc. Not the cheapest stuff, but by far the best I've ever used.
Thanks.
Sick H3 by the way!

Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by bruceg
I'm far from a professional painter so I don't like the idea of spray paint.
I think bed liner would be more forgiving. Only thing I'm concerned about is fading... I wander if I could clear coat it or something??
From my own experiences, if you can put on bedliner evenly, you can put on Fusion just as easily. Fusion goes on plastic much smoother and easier than say, regular spray paint on metal.

If your black has already faded significanty, the silicon back to black products don't hold up very long. Once you use these products, you need to clean and degrease the surface if you decide to paint or line later.

Another trick for the faded black trim is to use a heat gun to restore the black by bring the color back up to the surface. Lots of folks have used this trick on factory Jeep fender flares which are notorious for fading. Google for instructional threads.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Xlr8n
From my own experiences, if you can put on bedliner evenly, you can put on Fusion just as easily. Fusion goes on plastic much smoother and easier than say, regular spray paint on metal.

If your black has already faded significanty, the silicon back to black products don't hold up very long. Once you use these products, you need to clean and degrease the surface if you decide to paint or line later.

Another trick for the faded black trim is to use a heat gun to restore the black by bring the color back up to the surface. Lots of folks have used this trick on factory Jeep fender flares which are notorious for fading. Google for instructional threads.
How does that paint hold up to car washes and all?

Also, another reason why I'm leaning to a bed liner is that I want to do the metal part of the front and rear bumpers too.

Quick Reply: Rhino lining all faded plastic parts...