PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Which replacement speakers to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hunter8793
Did your speakers just stop working or did they just sound really bad?
They just quit, zero sound.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:44 AM

Hey Doc, do you know the model # of your speakers by any chance? And where did you get the stuff you put around the speakers to keep the water out?

Old 05-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Doc, I found the baffels and some decent speakers within those ranges you had in your post. So I guess my question now is do those ratings for sensitivity and RMS apply for trucks with the monsoon system?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:17 PM

I just installed Polk Audio 6.5" 2-way speakers in all 4 doors from Crutchfield. The give you the wire adapters and speaker adapter boxes to make the install simple. They also provide instructions with photos. The Polks are marine grade, so water and salt will not kill them like most speakers. Around $200 for all 4. On the stock radio I lost some volume I suppose, not enough to bother me or my daughter listening at normal levels. We don't typically jam out in the car :-)

I may upgrade the head unit to a touch screen Pioneer later. I really miss my BT phone integration. The factory base radio on my 2006 is of the 1990 technology set.

Old 05-01-2014, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by motley1987
Doc, I found the baffels and some decent speakers within those ranges you had in your post. So I guess my question now is do those ratings for sensitivity and RMS apply for trucks with the monsoon system?
From researching the H3 radios years back (and I cannot remember chit) if I am correct, the Base single CD player has a built if amp with speaker outs (20-30W??) the 6 disc changer and Nav unit have external amps and pre-amp outs (like 2Ws) so they are not interchangeable without adding an amp.

The "premium enhanced" speakers.... not so much. I do not recall what the amp outputs are for the Monsoon, but it is not far off from the base unit. Be my guest and search that out and report back.
Name:  011220091610.jpg
Views: 2881
Size:  106.3 KB

Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM

Can you get the monsoon head unit output on the back of the unit itself? I tried searching for it online and couldn't find anything.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM

So I ordered all new door speakers, and enough dynamat extreme to do all four doors. I'm gonna send the baffles I ordered back. The local car audio guy said that they kill the bass... and all I really want is good bass without putting a sub in.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by hunter8793
So I ordered all new door speakers, and enough dynamat extreme to do all four doors. I'm gonna send the baffles I ordered back. The local car audio guy said that they kill the bass... and all I really want is good bass without putting a sub in.
The enclosures "enhance" or tighten up the bass and kill the "boom". The local car audio kid should know that.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:30 AM

and all I really want is good bass without putting a sub in
and we all want 26 mpg!

put your favorite cd in a monsoon h3,,,and you may go shopping. i never heard a non monsoon but i think you will notice the difference.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

I put mine in baffles for weather protection, my truck is outside 24/7. I have the wires come in from tiny a hole in the bottom. Wasn't concerned about booming bass ...... I mean I have the base radio. I'm no audiophile either, but still a massive improvement over OEM, especially when your OEMs croak.

Crutchfield...
"Our take on the XTC 6-1/2" Speaker Baffles
Waterproof foam baffles from XTC fit behind speakers to keep them clean and dry. They compress easily to fit the installation, and form a mounting seal that can reduce panel vibration. Use these speaker baffles along with a Dynamat kit when you install your new speakers, and you'll enjoy improved sound and performance.

These baffles will protect your speakers. In many applications we recommend that you cut a hole in the bottom of the baffle, or remove the entire bottom of the baffle, to maintain good bass response while still protecting your speaker from dirt and water damage."

Last edited by Doc Olds; 05-02-2014 at 08:59 AM.

Quick Reply: Which replacement speakers to get?