Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H3 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/)
-   -   Replacement speaker, still doesn't work. (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h3-17/replacement-speaker-still-doesnt-work-41015/)

GrampaEJ 03-06-2019 01:54 PM

Replacement speaker, still doesn't work. (Corrected 3/8/19.)

I, finally, got around to replacing the tweeter and door speaker, (front lefts), and I still have nothing from the door. The tweeter doesn't sound all that great. My big concern is the door speaker. I, also, checked the connector, from the door to the body, and it appears to be alright.

Is there anything else I can check, before blaming the head unit, and having to spend more money than I really wanted to?

EJ

Doc Olds 03-06-2019 02:08 PM

Have an electric tester/ohm meter? Check for output & continuity at the speaker wire.

These trucks are getting older, radios do not last forever. In my experience, the tweeters last a lot longer than door speakers. How does the left rear sound?

GrampaEJ 03-06-2019 02:32 PM

Left rear, (and all other speakers), sound fine.

BTW, of course, I don't get any chimes from that front left speaker, either.

Gonna have to unbutton the door, again. So, it may be a while. Between work and REALLY cold weather, I'm limited to time on the H3.

Thanks, Doc.

EJ

happythree 03-06-2019 09:50 PM

just front radio? or amp in back. monsoon amp feeds all speakers separate huh?

GrampaEJ 03-06-2019 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by happythree (Post 358521)
just front radio? or amp in back. monsoon amp feeds all speakers separate huh?

Yes. I have the Monsoon Package.

In regards to the tweeter(s), is the crossover built into the rear amp? Or, do I still need to install a resistor/capacitor/crossover, whatever?
The speaker set I bought, came with, 2 tweeters, 2 woofers, and 2 crossovers. Connections show, radio + and -, woofer + and -, and tweeter + and -. However, understanding how the H3 is wired. I didn't think I needed to use the crossover(s) supplied.
Am I wrong, in my assumptions?

TAINTER 03-07-2019 06:36 AM

Use the crossover for the tweeter only.

GrampaEJ 03-07-2019 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 358527)
Use the crossover for the tweeter only.

Is that why the sound, from the tweeter, isn't that great? It's having to process the mids and lows, also?

TAINTER 03-08-2019 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by GrampaEJ (Post 358536)
Is that why the sound, from the tweeter, isn't that great? It's having to process the mids and lows, also?

Yes, they may even be blown already. :(

GrampaEJ 03-08-2019 04:23 PM

Ding...ding...ding...

I hear chimes!

Thanks, to Doc Olds, for the suggestion, I checked the connections with a VOM. It was scratchy, and when I looked closer, I noticed they were a bit corroded.
Used the smallest number drill I have, and scrubbed the contact area with electric contact cleaner. Worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, as TAINTER mentioned, I may have caused more damage. :o

Originally Posted by TAINTER (Post 358566)
Yes, they may even be blown already. :(

I was going to buy another set of the same speakers, and use the tweeters in the rear. But, now, I think I'll have to use one of those tweets, as a replacement for the one I ruined,
and just run the woofers in the rear doors.

Learn from my mistake. Do your homework, before you fire up the new parts.

Thanks, again, for your help fellas.

EJ

P.S. That driver's door speaker was shot. It wasn't just the connector.

happythree 03-08-2019 04:31 PM

check the bad tweet. it should have a built in capacitor that they call a crossover. it cuts low freq to tweeter