Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Remote only works 6 inches from h3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2019, 01:34 PM
Default Remote only works 6 inches from h3?

I have searched for info
Found nothing about my exact issue. If its here I tried. I'm old and tired so please be nice. All of a sudden all 3 remotes only open doors if you hold it by windshield or under dash. And that only works 75 percent of the timre, yes replaced all batteries.. I have had numerous sunroof leaks for yrs. Water damage? Idk.. I'm stumped. Please help. Thank you VERY MUCH. Remote use to work from inside my house with car 60 feet away! 2006 H3.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:02 PM

2 easy things I recommend, make sure your battery voltage is 3v+(yes even new batteries can be defective) and clean the contacts on the rke, I use cotton swabs and electrical contact cleaner(rubbing alcohol works too) Wait until it dries before inserting battery. Also check that the contacts are secured, and sometimes you have to slightly bend the contacts to increase pressure to the battery). GL

Old 04-18-2019, 02:18 PM

Thank you. I did all that a few times just in case. I also discounted car battery. Touched terminals ect.. I've even done thev fob reprogram sequence.. same results.. it's like the RF antenna wherever that Is. Is corroded. Tore off. Bad connection ect. I have no clue where the control box for that system is?

Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM

I've corrected many rke issues with many vehicles. I have done 1 or more that is included in this vid to fix:

Last edited by hummerz; 04-18-2019 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:49 PM

All 3 barf at once? Highly unlikely tho. Plus I've done all that
All 3 gone bad same day.... nah. BUT I DO APPRECIATE the replies. I truly do. I'm just frustrated..

Old 04-18-2019, 02:56 PM

You have 3 fobs linked? wow, I didn't get that..

Remove batteries from 2 and reprogram 1 until you figure it out. GL

Last edited by hummerz; 04-18-2019 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2019, 03:19 PM

Yea I got them in 06 from dealer when i bought the H3 new. Came with 2. I just bought an extra...

Old 04-18-2019, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Lyns Hummy
Yea I got them in 06 from dealer when i bought the H3 new. Came with 2. I just bought an extra...
Just take 2 offline right now and start with 1. I only have 1 linked and the only time I had a problem, I cleaned the board. My H3 is outside 50+ ft away from me, I can see the taillights light when I hit the lock button right now. GL

Old 04-19-2019, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
2 easy things I recommend, make sure your battery voltage is 3v+(yes even new batteries can be defective) and clean the contacts on the rke, I use cotton swabs and electrical contact cleaner(rubbing alcohol works too) Wait until it dries before inserting battery. Also check that the contacts are secured, and sometimes you have to slightly bend the contacts to increase pressure to the battery). GL
note, the cheap give away meter at harbor frt has a test position that puts a load on the batt for better accuracy. i have some fancy meters that dont do that!!

Old 06-16-2019, 03:08 PM
Default Body control module!

Well after all this time I've nailed it down to the BCM or the BCM remote door lock Antenna. The POS sunroof leaks that have plagued me since new most likely caused the issue. Water runs down the A pillar right onto the BCM. I hate GM. 260.00 for a new BCM. RIP OFF. Or 30 for the RF coax antenna. Not sure which yet but eventualy I'll get to the issue. BUT AT LEAST I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE BCM controlling the remote locks and its antenna for the FOBs. Getting closer!

Quick Reply: Remote only works 6 inches from h3?