PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

relays??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 PM

thanks for all the help everyone. This is going to be the weekend project.
spooky

Old 04-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Default Wiring a replacement horn with no remote "honk"

Installing a BadBoy horn. I want to isolate it from the remote so I won't irritate neighbors every time I lock the doors with the remote. Can't program the remote so lights flash with no horn; it's both or nothing. I don't see anything on the horn circuit wiring diagram indicating a lead to the lock circuit so I assume the horn voltage must come from ECU. Has anyone dealt with this?

Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Banned
Default little relay,big wire

ya know,ive seen relays, most,that are 3/4 in cubes. some smaller, with 1/4 in flat connectors.
i will be real interested in seeing just how 2 pieces of # 8 (yikes!!) will be attached to the typically 1/4 in. faston flat pins,,huh.
sounds like the wire might be bigger than the relay. for certain it will be a mounting problem.
do post pictures!
oh btw i do a lot of wiring,(or i have) and i find that any heavier than 14 is really a lot more effort to handle,strip,bend,attach. you cant usually just do a hookup,ala #14 and stuff the outlet back in the box. it takes some careful bending to make it fit.
lucky, no boxes in the car huh.

Last edited by drtom; 04-09-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:09 PM
Banned
Default Wiring a replacement horn with no remote "honk

you can kill the horn. i did it the first day on 2 h3. lites only.

just read your book.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
ya know,ive seen relays, most,that are 3/4 in cubes. some smaller, with 1/4 in flat connectors.
i will be real interested in seeing just how 2 pieces of # 8 (yikes!!) will be attached to the typically 1/4 in. faston flat pins,,huh.
sounds like the wire might be bigger than the relay. for certain it will be a mounting problem.
Since his current draw can be as high as 60 amps, he's going to need his first relay in the 'T' to be something larger, (80 amp. cap.?) which can now use crimp on ring connectors. THIS is the only relay that will need the 8 gauge, the other 2 can be the '3/4" cubes'. Spooky, I've attached a link of the relay I used for my washer fluid heater (which also is 60 amp).
Stinger 80 AMP Relay and Isolator - SGP38 | eBay

Old 04-10-2012, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
...i will be real interested in seeing just how 2 pieces of # 8 (yikes!!) will be attached to the typically 1/4 in. faston flat pins,,huh.
...oh btw i do a lot of wiring,(or i have)
I do a lot of wiring too. There are plenty of ways to attach multiple 1/4" push-on terminals to the single terminal on the relay.

Here's a couple:

Old 04-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Bunger....I played around with some wire diagrams, and if he wants to control all 3 sets of lights independent of each other he won't be able to use the 'T' setup we first thought would work. The 3 relays will need their input power to to be in series, so each relay can be toggled on/off to control it's own lights. If not, then the main relay, when active, will always power the set of lights coming from it's output.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned
Default still trying.

lets see,3 sets of lights need 3 relays hooked up with #12 at the max with tiny relay coil wiring. thats about it. not complicated.
no 60 amp welding cables.
when i said 2 #8 wires i obviously meant;one in,one out,not tied together.
#8 is the size of a pencil,kinda hard to work with.

and no,hes not running them for hours on end huh.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:06 AM

One last attempt to get through to you tom.....if he has a maximum draw of 60 amps, 12 GAUGE WIRE IS NOT GOING TO CUT IT! Maybe for the last relay in the series, but not for the second, and CERTAINLY not for the first!

Old 04-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Banned
Default it takes time

just hook each relay , one at a time to the batt. with #12 wire

i know, lets play pretend,like in preschool;
on day one we hook up some lights on a 20 amp circuit with a relay.
then we rest,nap time
on day two we decide we want more lights. we go buy them.
on day three we hook them up to a 20 amp circuit with # 12 just like we did on day one.
nap time again.

a week later we want even more lights. ,,,you know the routine. one more trip to k mart , auto zone, but lucky us,we still have 81 feet of # 12 wire left!!

Last edited by drtom; 04-10-2012 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: relays??????