PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

relays??????

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
Jason,
You need 1 relay per switch.
How it works is, you wire a light wire gauge circuit to your switch. The switch turns on the coil of the relay. The relay contacts close when energized by the switch. The circuit wired thru the relay contacts needs to be rated (amp wise) to handle the lighting load, in your case a pair of lights. When the relay contacts close, your lights turn on.
thanks for the reply!, Im glad I ask. Each of the relays needs a power from the battery right? If so, can this power be daisy chained from one relay to the next, or do I need one of those terminal block things to pull power for each one individualy?
thanks again!

@ Broken Halo, I planed on using using 10g for my heavy power, and 12g to my toggles. Im sure that the 12g is overkill,,, but what the hay.
thanks!

@ Drtom, oops my bad, there 130w 6" Off Road 130w Halogen Long Range Lights Dick Cepek Stainless 2 PAIRS Black | eBay
there not the best, but I think theyll suit my needs.
thanks!
jason

Old 04-09-2012, 05:38 PM

If by 'daisy chain' (love those technical terms), you mean 'in series', yes, the relay power inputs can be daisy chained. BUT, if you do, use 8ga for your input because now ALL your wattage will be on one line instead of split into 3 lines.

Note: Even though you said you'll never be running all the lights at the same time, you still want to allow enough current carrying capacity as if you were.

Last edited by Broken Halo; 04-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:42 PM

Aaaaaaaahhhhh, That, is something that I would have over looked. THANKS!!!!
jason

Old 04-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Banned
Default lot of overkill

ive used what seemed suitable"think available") in cars since most stuff isnt used much, NEVER had a hot/burned wire.
house wiring #14 wire takes 15 amps,#12 takes 20 amps , so youre ok with 14 or 12. id run 2 lites on 12 and not worry.

the relay coils can use speaker wire,!!not the giant stuff,just #16 or 18 or 20.

i use heavy wire for 2 way radio

Last edited by drtom; 04-09-2012 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:09 PM

Jason,
The power feed to the relays can be daisy chained but instead of a true daisy chain where you go from the first to the second then to the third relay , I would feed the second relay with a #8 and then jumper to the first and to the third like a tee, with #10 wires, to spread the load.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM

Spooky....You said you're running about 60 amps total with all lights on. Industry standards suggest 10 gauge wire for a 50 amp. draw @ 12 volts on a 15 foot run. I added a little 'fudge factor' in there, and said 8 gauge to play it safe. Sorry tom, but I wasn't using my calculator. I figured, not everybody is going to scrutinize to the nth degree, like yourself, to save a nickel.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bunger
Jason,
The power feed to the relays can be daisy chained but instead of a true daisy chain where you go from the first to the second then to the third relay , I would feed the second relay with a #8 and then jumper to the first and to the third like a tee, with #10 wires, to spread the load.
#10 is good for 30 amps i think,8=? 40. this is getting like welding cable for light bulbs!!

electric dryer,220v 30 amp,#10. 20 amp appliance circuits are #12 so WHERE are you guys going?!!

and amps are amps.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM

yall got my head spinning now. How about this, do the 8/10/10 Tee for the relays, use 16 or 18 (or the likes) for the relays coils ,, run #12 from the relays to the lights. Im not going to be running these for hours at a time, Im just thinking a few minuets at a time to shine some fields at night, and every once in a while using the rear ones to back a trailer up in the dark.
Also, are there any preferences on toggles, or will any 12v toggle work?
LOL thanks guys for the help!
jason

Old 04-09-2012, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by drtom
... so WHERE are you guys going?!!
Planning ahead Tom. He's only running a couple of inexpensive lights for now. He may add more lights or upgrade to some higher powered lights in the future.
Doesn't cost much more to oversize now instead of having to replace with heavier wire later.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by mr.spooky
yall got my head spinning now. How about this, do the 8/10/10 Tee for the relays, use 16 or 18 (or the likes) for the relays coils ,, run #12 from the relays to the lights. Im not going to be running these for hours at a time, Im just thinking a few minuets at a time to shine some fields at night, and every once in a while using the rear ones to back a trailer up in the dark.
Also, are there any preferences on toggles, or will any 12v toggle work?
LOL thanks guys for the help!
jason
Sounds like you've got a plan! Any toggle will work since the relays they will be tripping only draw about 15 Milli-amps.

Quick Reply: relays??????