PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Default Rear wheel bearing

2006 H3 adv lux auto trans, 101k miles. Has anyone changed the rear wheel bearings and if yes, any pointers or things to watch for? Sorry if this was already posted. I searched for about a half hour but did not see anything. Thank you.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Super Moderator

OK, so I'll ask. What makes you think you have to do anything to your rear wheel bearings?

They are packed for life and not a maintenance item, so unless one is howling or puked, don't fix them unless they are broke kinda thing. I have seen one case where there was crazy rear tire wear on an H2 because of a bad bearing, but never heard of any other problems so far??

Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Thanks, Doc. Not entirely sure, but I do have a hum (tough to discern how much is tire noise vs bearing). But I have a little side-to-side and up-and-down movement when I jack the rear and check the tire. Suspension components are not moving, just the hub itself. Lugs are all tight, took off tire and remounted to ensure it was seated right. Maybe I am missing something?

Old 05-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by loud pipes
Thanks, Doc. Not entirely sure, but I do have a hum (tough to discern how much is tire noise vs bearing). But I have a little side-to-side and up-and-down movement when I jack the rear and check the tire. Suspension components are not moving, just the hub itself. Lugs are all tight, took off tire and remounted to ensure it was seated right. Maybe I am missing something?
The movement you describe could be a problem, it just a matter of how much. Might want to have that looked at by a "reputable shop" that is not just drumming up work, but will give you a qualified opinion.

Is this only one side or both?

Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Banned
Default not your dads wheel bearing!

ive had one sealed bearing go bad. dont remember what car. i drove on it a while till i figured it out. just a little play,very strange. took it off,knocked it apart and my memory tells me the bearings were dry and like powder!!,all packed,trapped in the housing.
thats yrs agobut i remember being surprised i could drive on it. obviously a front,disk brake wheel.
when my 74 econoline,rear drum bearing went the truck stopped in its tracks,kinda like locking the brakes,right now!

if one goes,change two.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM

Thanks guys. It's very little movement right now. Not enough that I was ready to do anything, but I just wanted to learn a bit more about it. Just knowing how uncommon it is tells me you are right Doc - need a qualified real opinion.

It is only one side. No abnormal tire wear or other indicators at this point.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:38 AM

When it starts howling and screeching you'll know.

Chris

Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 AM

I believe we have the same problem. I am feeling a slight vibration at 70 mph. I jacked up the H3 and found my rear tires have play when I move the tires. I have 75K on mine so I am going to the dealer.

Old 06-16-2012, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by GLADIATOR
I believe we have the same problem. I am feeling a slight vibration at 70 mph. I jacked up the H3 and found my rear tires have play when I move the tires. I have 75K on mine so I am going to the dealer.
Sounds more like you need a tire balanced. Might have lost a weight or inner wheel build up.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM

any updates on this problem? i think i've been having the same issue. I get a whining from the rear that sounded like bad tire noise but now i am sure the noise is only coming from the rear drivers side wheel area. a buddy pinpointed it listening from the back seat while i was driving. I was thinking a bearing as well but now that i read this thread im not sure, since i have 81k and they're packed for life. Could it be something with the rear brakes? It 's a rubbing whining type noise that is predominant between 20-50mph. any help would be awesome. I've already changed the rear diff fluid and transfer case fluid because i was worried it was a gear noise. But everything shifts well and i am not getting any clunking or anything. I have also lifted up both rear tires and checked for play and spun the wheels for any noise. i can pull each tire in and out like a 1/16", both seemed to have an equal amount of play though so i figured the movement was normal. I am stumped.