PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Rear suspension noise question - sway bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM

So I still haven't found the exact cause of the noise in the back of the truck, but when I drove home tonight it was pouring rain and the noise was practically gone. Would this indicate that the noise was in fact the springs? If so, why would driving through the rain/puddles cause spring noise to stop? I think it happened the last time I drove in the driving rain too. If not the springs, what would stop making noise when it got wet? Thanks again for the help!

Ben

Old 04-30-2014, 09:46 PM

hint,,,next time its dry for two days and it s noisy, spray it with a hose and hit the road.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:36 AM

Never thought of that! I guess I missed the obvious thing to do. It's dry today and still almost no noise even when I go slow and swerve back and forth so we'll ee in a couple of days. Thanks for the tip!

Ben

Old 05-01-2014, 03:16 PM

The leaf springs are known to squeak, but thoroughly directing a high-pressure wash between the leaves will usually keep this noise at bay. It's more of a squeak than a rattle.
Check the jack equipment in your rear door to make sure everything is secure there.

Also check your body mounts at the frame to make sure none are loose.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:53 PM

I have the same rattle in the rear of mine and have been unable to locate it also. new shocks checked everything cant find a thing. Nothing loose I have checked and checked nothing as of yet and it doesn't do it all the time

Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM

I took the jack out awhile ago and that wasn't it. I guess if it turns out to be dirt, I'll have to spray them down every once in awhile. The noise seemed to be more than a squeak but since it's gotten so quiet after the rain yesterday, I'm guessing it was just a bad squeak I was hearing.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:16 AM

I was getting the same type of noise, it turned out to be the rear door. It had to be adjusted so the clasp held it tighter. Have someone ride in the back and go over the bumps, if you hear the noise drive with the back door held open and go over the same bumps and see if the noise disappears.

Old 05-02-2014, 12:07 PM

I have that noise too, but I wasn't aware the door can be adjusted. Do you have any idea how they did it? Assuming you didn't do it yourself.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:36 AM

Ben have you finally fix this problem? I have it too and can't fix until now. Thanks.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by civic7556
Ben have you finally fix this problem? I have it too and can't fix until now. Thanks.
Hummer H3 2008 . Noise crossing from back to front more so front left area where it is felt on the steering and when turning or bumps. Not sure but would welcome advise. Already spent a ton $$$ on the transfer case a few months ago. It has 123000 miles and ridden only around 5000 miles per year in the last few years but suffer long and painfull winters with salt on the road. Brakes are new.....please can someone help? I am unemployed and budget restricted....I am the original owner and babied this vehicle until now. Thank you

Quick Reply: Rear suspension noise question - sway bars