Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear locker repair help

Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM
Default Rear locker repair help

So my rear locker in my h3 has finally stopped working. I press the button and the light comes on and my left rear wheel will not rotate at the same speed as the other tire. There is also a loud popping noise coming from the area as if it is slipping. Before I open up the diff and take a look, I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with them and if I should just buy another locker or get a service kit and repair this one.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM

what kinda car?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tylerv_h3 View Post
So my rear locker in my h3 has finally stopped working. I press the button and the light comes on and my left rear wheel will not rotate at the same speed as the other tire. There is also a loud popping noise coming from the area as if it is slipping. Before I open up the diff and take a look, I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with them and if I should just buy another locker or get a service kit and repair this one.
I assume you read the manual and actually know how to properly engage the rear locking diff????? If not revisit that and all the preconditions that have to occur before the locker will operate to engage.
You would be surprised how many just start pushing buttons ***** nilly.

If you have been incorrectly using the locker, or have not changed the rear diff lube regularly, you can chew up one or more locking pins and get what you describe.

Your question is backwards, you would have no idea what you need before you pull off the cover and LOOK. Of course you can always replace what may just need fixin. That is up to you.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds View Post
I assume you read the manual and actually know how to properly engage the rear locking diff????? If not revisit that and all the preconditions that have to occur before the locker will operate to engage.
You would be surprised how many just start pushing buttons ***** nilly.

If you have been incorrectly using the locker, or have not changed the rear diff lube regularly, you can chew up one or more locking pins and get what you describe.

Your question is backwards, you would have no idea what you need before you pull off the cover and LOOK. Of course you can always replace what may just need fixin. That is up to you.
Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up and was wondering if The service kit they sell for them come with the pins.

Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM
Question

Before I open up the diff and take a look....
Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up...

Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by 650Hawk View Post
Yea sorry I was in a rush when I typed it out and I worded it wrong sorry

Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM

Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up and was wondering if The service kit they sell for them come with the pins.
Look at the pictures before you purchase!

Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 PM

Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM

SO you have the diff disassembled? If so you can see what parts need to be replaced.
Check to see if the service kit has the parts you need to replace.
If not, you will need a new Eaton Elocker.
Eaton Model: 19659-010 GM 8.5" / 8.6" 30 SplineThis Eaton E-Locker fits GM 8.6" axles with 30 spline axle shafts.