Hummer H3 For the Hummer driver who wants the rugged look and off road capabilities of the Hummer, but in a smaller size and with a more fuel economy friendly engine.

Rear locker repair help

  #1  
Old 05-15-2019, 11:28 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Gadsden,Alabama
Posts: 4
Default Rear locker repair help

So my rear locker in my h3 has finally stopped working. I press the button and the light comes on and my left rear wheel will not rotate at the same speed as the other tire. There is also a loud popping noise coming from the area as if it is slipping. Before I open up the diff and take a look, I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with them and if I should just buy another locker or get a service kit and repair this one.
 
  #2  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:18 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,005
Default

what kinda car?
 
  #3  
Old 05-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Doc Olds's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Boat Town USA MI
Posts: 8,776
Default

Originally Posted by Tylerv_h3 View Post
So my rear locker in my h3 has finally stopped working. I press the button and the light comes on and my left rear wheel will not rotate at the same speed as the other tire. There is also a loud popping noise coming from the area as if it is slipping. Before I open up the diff and take a look, I was just wondering if anyone else has had problems with them and if I should just buy another locker or get a service kit and repair this one.
I assume you read the manual and actually know how to properly engage the rear locking diff????? If not revisit that and all the preconditions that have to occur before the locker will operate to engage.
You would be surprised how many just start pushing buttons ***** nilly.

If you have been incorrectly using the locker, or have not changed the rear diff lube regularly, you can chew up one or more locking pins and get what you describe.

Your question is backwards, you would have no idea what you need before you pull off the cover and LOOK. Of course you can always replace what may just need fixin. That is up to you.
 
  #4  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Gadsden,Alabama
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by Doc Olds View Post
I assume you read the manual and actually know how to properly engage the rear locking diff????? If not revisit that and all the preconditions that have to occur before the locker will operate to engage.
You would be surprised how many just start pushing buttons ***** nilly.

If you have been incorrectly using the locker, or have not changed the rear diff lube regularly, you can chew up one or more locking pins and get what you describe.

Your question is backwards, you would have no idea what you need before you pull off the cover and LOOK. Of course you can always replace what may just need fixin. That is up to you.
Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up and was wondering if The service kit they sell for them come with the pins.
 
  #5  
Old 05-16-2019, 02:48 PM
650Hawk's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: SoCal
Posts: 411
Question

Originally Posted by Tylerv_h3 View Post
Before I open up the diff and take a look....
Originally Posted by Tylerv_h3 View Post
Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up...
 
  #6  
Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Gadsden,Alabama
Posts: 4
Default

Originally Posted by 650Hawk View Post
Yea sorry I was in a rush when I typed it out and I worded it wrong sorry
 
  #7  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:03 PM
hummerz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: C-Town
Posts: 1,146
Default

Originally Posted by Tylerv_h3 View Post
Sorry I meant to say that I did look and the pins were chewed up and was wondering if The service kit they sell for them come with the pins.
Look at the pictures before you purchase!
 
  #8  
Old 05-16-2019, 08:16 PM
hummerz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: C-Town
Posts: 1,146
Default

 
  #9  
Old 05-17-2019, 10:05 AM
TAINTER's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: SE Michigan
Posts: 4,723
Default

SO you have the diff disassembled? If so you can see what parts need to be replaced.
Check to see if the service kit has the parts you need to replace.
If not, you will need a new Eaton Elocker.
Eaton Model: 19659-010 GM 8.5" / 8.6" 30 SplineThis Eaton E-Locker fits GM 8.6" axles with 30 spline axle shafts.
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
tharber
Hummer H2
2
03-31-2019 07:50 AM
LS12FAST4U
Hummer H3
10
10-06-2014 01:07 PM
YH2Owner
Hummer H2
9
02-04-2010 11:21 AM
ozHummer
Hummer H3
7
04-28-2008 04:26 PM
merkur92
PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds
0
07-20-2007 03:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear locker repair help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.