PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Door Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by happythree
size?, might buy a set and save money. its dark here so i took a flashlite and looked at the 2 pieces. the frame mounted tapered assm seems to be coated with a hard teflon type substance telling me that the 2 slide on each other and should be snug.
im betting that a tiny gap, .020 or so would let the VERY HEAVY door bounce enuf with bumps to make noise or be felt.
the latch assm might set the proper position for the door as well?
its also adjustable. the manual might precisly describe the procedure.

id draw pencil line around all items and move the door metal in 1/16 inch,close door and drive down the rr tracks!
I will give that a shot this weekend (having laser vision correction surgery this afternoon so it'll be a few days.) Last night I took the old floor mats, put one on top of the other, and closed the door on them. Cut the problem by 90%; now it only happens on the worst bumps. So at least now I'm sure it's the door and not anything else. Thanks for suggesting the pencil marks, I didn't think of that.

Old 09-09-2017, 10:57 PM
Default Resolved

Originally Posted by pavaojc
Spent time searching this forum on this last night to make sure I wasn't asking what was answered. I found mention of it but not much for solution. I'm assuming it's my rear door because it's hard to tell when I'm driving, but it's a loud heavy clunk in the passenger rear corner on a decent bump. I've removed the jack and that maybe helped a little, but it was hard to tell the difference. I also checked the screws in the catch and the guide underneath it where the door shuts, they're all tight. I can open the door and lift and there is no slack at all in it, it's not like the hinges are loose.

Has anyone actually resolved this issue, and how? Thanks!
Went to my buddy's house today and he had the torx bit so we played around with the back door and fixed it. We moved the catch (the upper piece on the body. We moved it back a little. The door sounds much better when you close it and there's no more clunk when I hit a decent bump. I also removed the Jack for good measure and am going to devise a better way of securing it in the door so that it can't move.

Thanks again everyone!

Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 AM

thanks for feedback,,,