PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear differential whine/hum on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Default rear differential whine/hum on acceleration

Has anyone had this happen on their H3? at about 60mph, the rear end develops a whine/hum sound only while accelerating. Take your foot off the gas, whine goes away immediately. Talked to several people, I guess the gears are worn. Improper service history?...I bought it used and its just out of its 50k warrenty. Called the dealor, said a 2006 only comes with a 50k powetrain while 2007-present have 100k. Sounds unfair to me...same parts, different year. Said would be around $1100 to fix. I'm wondering how long i can drive like this?... it's a daily driver. Some say they will whine forever, some say only a few months until it gives and becomes more expensive to fix. Thanks!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:18 PM

Some of the earlier 06 H3's had an issue with the gears cracking in the rear differential due to the way they were manufactured. I had the same whine problem with mine in 2006 about a year after I purchased it (purchased in Sept 05). The entire rear differential was replaced under warranty. There is no service bulletin that I'm aware. This may or may not be your problem, a good mechanic would need to look at the gears to tell you.

You may want to change the differential fluid and drive it just to see if that makes a difference. If you do the fluid change yourself, it should cost <$40 (fluid and pump).

I also had the gears in my rear differential of my Jeep (what I had before the H3) go out and I took it to the dealer for a price and then a 4x4 specialty shop. I drove my Jeep with the gear problem for about 8 months. The 4x4 shop did the repair (replaced all gears) for about 1/4 the price of the dealer. The rear differential on the H3 isn't unique and just about any 4x4 mechanic can pull the gears and replace them.

If you don't have a rear locker, this may be a good time to have one put in.

Last edited by outnabout; 07-22-2009 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:41 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by outnabout
Some of the earlier 06 H3's had an issue with the gears cracking in the rear differential due to the way they were manufactured. I had the same whine problem with mine in 2006 about a year after I purchased it (purchased in Sept 05). The entire rear differential was replaced under warranty. There is no service bulletin that I'm aware. This may or may not be your problem, a good mechanic would need to look at the gears to tell you.

You may want to change the differential fluid and drive it just to see if that makes a difference. If you do the fluid change yourself, it should cost <$40 (fluid and pump).

I also had the gears in my rear differential of my Jeep (what I had before the H3) go out and I took it to the dealer for a price and then a 4x4 specialty shop. I drove my Jeep with the gear problem for about 8 months. The 4x4 shop did the repair (replaced all gears) for about 1/4 the price of the dealer. The rear differential on the H3 isn't unique and just about any 4x4 mechanic can pull the gears and replace them.

If you don't have a rear locker, this may be a good time to have one put in.
Thanks for the reply. I had everything serviced at 4wheelparts when I bought it (diffs, transfer case, tranny, oil). They put in royal purple in both diffs. It had a faint hum after purchase, nothing major. Seems to have become a bit more noticeable, but nothing extremely loud. I plan to add a eaton elocker since this model doesn't have one, so at that point I'll have them go through the gears. Until then, hopefully everything holds up. We will see after I head camping and 4wheeling this weekend.