PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Radio won't shut off with ignition after battery swap

Old 10-10-2014, 09:20 AM
Default Radio won't shut off with ignition after battery swap

Greetings - I just got a 2006 H3 - seems ok - few issues here and there but nothing major yet. I swapped my battery the other day and now find that my radio doesn't shut off like it did prior to that (with ignition). I've read some other things not specific to the H3 that seem to indicate there could be some type of 'reset' such as turning the steering wheel, rolling the windows up and down, etc, but wonder if anyone knows what to do specifically with the H3?

I did do a forum search but didn't see anything - thank you in advance for any help/advice!

BC

Old 10-10-2014, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rockandroll00
Greetings - I just got a 2006 H3 - seems ok - few issues here and there but nothing major yet. I swapped my battery the other day and now find that my radio doesn't shut off like it did prior to that (with ignition). I've read some other things not specific to the H3 that seem to indicate there could be some type of 'reset' such as turning the steering wheel, rolling the windows up and down, etc, but wonder if anyone knows what to do specifically with the H3?

I did do a forum search but didn't see anything - thank you in advance for any help/advice!

BC
That is because you had a RAP glitch before you replaced the battery, probably because the prior owner did not bother to replace the OEM piece of crap battery terminal connectors. Get rid of those ASAP, first mod you should do.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) when working properly keeps the radio on for up to 20 minutes after the key is turned off, or until a door is opened. In other words, it is working correctly now, before it wasn't. There are no adjustable settings for RAP with H3/H3Ts

Old 10-10-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
That is because you had a RAP glitch before you replaced the battery, probably because the prior owner did not bother to replace the OEM piece of crap battery terminal connectors. Get rid of those ASAP, first mod you should do.

Retained Accessory Power (RAP) when working properly keeps the radio on for up to 20 minutes after the key is turned off, or until a door is opened. In other words, it is working correctly now, before it wasn't. There are no adjustable settings for RAP with H3/H3Ts

Thank you Doc - I'll look into swapping those connectors out and test the 20 minute theory. Just wanted to make sure it was going to shut off at SOME point.

Thanks much for your help,
BC

Old 10-10-2014, 05:40 PM

Push the power button! I don't have your problem, however before I key off my rig, I TURN EVERYTHING OFF! Then KEY OFF.
Did you check your door switch?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:54 PM

i dont think io have ever turned a radio off, just min volume! in my driving carreer! in any car. i let the key handle it. i turn nothing off in my h3. it spoils me
the h3 radio goes off when the door opens.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:17 AM
rsc

Originally Posted by hummerz
Push the power button! I don't have your problem, however before I key off my rig, I TURN EVERYTHING OFF! Then KEY OFF.
Did you check your door switch?
This.

Old 10-11-2014, 11:47 AM

Well, I had an aftermarket stereo put in because I wanted Bluetooth and iPhone capabilities and everything is working as (in my mind) it should. When I turn the H3 off, the radio shuts off now as well.

I really appreciate you guys taking the time to read and help me out - still going to look at the terminals as well as the door switch and really start reading thru the forum to learn as much as I can about my H3 - I dig it - it's a cool vehicle!

BC