PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A quick question to anyone who has replaced their base stereo head unit

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Default A quick question to anyone who has replaced their base stereo head unit

I am going to be changing out my stock base head unit in my 09 H3 for something with a few more options (like mp3 playability). My question deals with the factory bluetooth: Will I loose it with the head unit replacement or is it part of the onstar system? I will be purchasing the GMOS adapter harness with the new head unit to allow the continued use of the onstar and chimes. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:41 PM

I can tell you that I did not lose the factory blue tooth when I put in my new head unit. I believe that because the bluetooth is off to the left side on its own it will override to the stereo system. Whatever head unit is put in when you get a phone call and is paired with a device it will turn off the stereo and take over. Unless the headunit has its own bluetooth function I dont know what would happen there.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks Tony ... that was how I hoped it worked.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:39 PM

i got the pioneer avic-x910bt which has bluetooth built in. i think you're better off using the new head unit's bluetooth functions (it can copy my phonebook and make calls from the head unit and displays information when someone's calling you) i don't have bluetooth or onstar in my car (i think because it was a rental vehicle) and i can't say what it's like but i can't imagine it being anything like that

Old 04-14-2010, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Tonyg41
I believe that because the bluetooth is off to the left side on its own it will override to the stereo system.
Is this the button with the little head on it and the triangles coming out of its mouth? I thought that was for making calls through OnStar, not Bluetooth. Can anyone confirm?

Old 04-14-2010, 10:46 AM

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but Autumn, bluetooth was only standard on 09's and up and was not available on years below that. So if you have a 2009 or 2010, you should have it available for your use.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Mine is an '08. I'm trying to find a picture of the call button... it's next to the fog light button on the left side of the dash.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Autumn Walker
Mine is an '08. I'm trying to find a picture of the call button... it's next to the fog light button on the left side of the dash.

I believe that button you are talking about is the hands free talking available through Onstar and not bluetooth.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:07 AM

My h3 is an 09, when I press the little head that looks like its talking when my phone is ringing It connects whoever is showing up on my iphone. If I hit the button without someone calling it gives me the pairing option and such. I will double check tomorrow on this, it is possible that this button worked differently on the older models.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:19 AM

In my 2008 when I pressed it I got a "welcome to OnStar".

Quick Reply: A quick question to anyone who has replaced their base stereo head unit