PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Question on what model to try and buy?

Old 02-04-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
All of them. It's not about the "4wd set up" it is about tires. Any H3 is fine in snow, once you shoe it with real tires. Bone stock, look for an adventure or Lux/Off Road with the 33" tires, better that anything with the 32" street rubber, but still not agressive enough for what these trucks can do.
I'm in a suburb of NYC, we've had over 70" of snow since Christmas. In the two bigger storms, one 30" snow fall and a second 22", I had to take out my 2008 H3 Lux 5/speed, which is bone stock, pulling a small utility trailer carrying my large snow blower. Neither time was my street plowed when I took the truck out.

The 30" snow fall was a bit of a challenge, but I made it out to the main road without getting stuck. The 22" snow fall was essentially a non issue.

I did see another stock H3 stuck in a deep drift during the 30" storm. His issue was he kept backing off the throttle as soon as he felt the wheels slip. A guy in a Suburban that was in front of me finally went over to the guy in the H3 to explain what he needed to do, and once he got it, he backed out of the drift.

I'll never part with my H3. Best truck I've ever owned. I have a second set of stock rims that I plan on fitting with a more appropriate winter/snow tire.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:57 PM
rsc

Originally Posted by Songman
Are you still saying that? Lots of Texas is under snow watch. I know it is cold as H3LL all over!
Yeah, we get a measly 2 inches here and just about everything shuts down for the day! However, the H3 with the Duratracs acquitted itself quite well. The only time I could get it to start sliding around was if I purposely got heavy with the steering wheel and accelerator. Everybody else was just spinning their wheels while I drove on by. I should have taken the day off to play in the snow instead of making it to work.