PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about installing new air intake covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 02:37 AM
Default Question about installing new air intake covers

Hey,
I'm thinking about putting chrome air intake covers on my H3 (the 2 parts on the hood near the windshield. One on the right, and one on the left). My question is do the air intake covers go over the top of my existing ones, or do they replace them completely. Every site I visit just states that they're chrome and are easy to apply with 3m tape. Does anyone know about this?
Thanks
Cameron

Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 AM

3M tape means: Cheap, chrome plated ABS plastic overlay

Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM

find a used set off an H3. have them sent out to chrome or mylar coating. bolt back on. car washes are a fun place to sit after a good hard rain. you get to see the guys who work there stopping the machine, walking in the tunnel and bringing out all of the parts that get pulled off by the scrubbers that are adhered with 3m tape.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by hildebrandhummer
find a used set off an H3. have them sent out to chrome or mylar coating. bolt back on. car washes are a fun place to sit after a good hard rain. you get to see the guys who work there stopping the machine, walking in the tunnel and bringing out all of the parts that get pulled off by the scrubbers that are adhered with 3m tape.
The factory pieces aren't bolted on. The simply pop off and snap back into place.

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
3M tape means: Cheap, chrome plated ABS plastic overlay
yeah just like the grill.
they just pull off but finding "used" ones will be difficult and possibly expensive.
They come black and have to be painted to color when new.
Just use that money for gas.
Name:  DAH_3298.jpg
Views: 1186
Size:  115.0 KB

Last edited by Hunner; 01-05-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:09 AM

*Fire Marshall Bill voice*
LEMME TELL YOU SUMTHIN!

Let's say you're driving along on a bright sunny day, when all of a sudden, the chrome up there reflects a ray of sunlight directly in to your eyes. This causes partial blindness and severe discomfort. Your inherent reflex is to close your eyes and move your head away from the painful light that is assaulting your retinas. This action causes you to jerk the wheel and enter into oncoming traffic, which, for example, just so happens to be a Peterbilt 359 driven by an old trucker who's reflexes aren't what they used to be. The ensuing collision causes you to fly out of your truck through the windshield and become a gory part in the front end of the old semi, which would definitely ruin your day.

The moral of the story:
Chrome is bad...don't do chrome.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 PM

Buy Them! They Look great and are cheap enough to replace "if" they ever start to peal off! Yes 3M tape holds on forever! Just follow instruction. Polish with some wax ever now and then and they will last! Had them on my H3T going on 2 years and I live were it go's below 0 in the winter!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:08 PM

Chrome? Whaaaaa???

Old 01-06-2012, 08:02 AM
Super Moderator

Dip em in chrome paint.

Old 01-06-2012, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
*Fire Marshall Bill voice*
LEMME TELL YOU SUMTHIN!

Let's say you're driving along on a bright sunny day, when all of a sudden, the chrome up there reflects a ray of sunlight directly in to your eyes. This causes partial blindness and severe discomfort. Your inherent reflex is to close your eyes and move your head away from the painful light that is assaulting your retinas. This action causes you to jerk the wheel and enter into oncoming traffic, which, for example, just so happens to be a Peterbilt 359 driven by an old trucker who's reflexes aren't what they used to be. The ensuing collision causes you to fly out of your truck through the windshield and become a gory part in the front end of the old semi, which would definitely ruin your day.

The moral of the story:
Chrome is bad...don't do chrome.
I got no idea who Fire Marshall Bill is, but this is still funny chit.

Quick Reply: Question about installing new air intake covers