PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming new Remote?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM
Default Programming new Remote?

so I managed to order and receive this remote recently

3 Buttons Replacement Keyless Entry Remote Key Fob Transmitter For Chevrolet GMC - ?27.03

I was wondering if I could program it myself? or dealership involvement is required?
I own 2009 H3

researched over the internet found some instructions but it appears to not work

I ordered the remote for just 6.99$ shipped which is a steal if you ask me

thanks

Old 10-28-2014, 01:36 PM

Gotta be a dealership or locksmith.
Dealership wanted $150 for mine - locksmith wanted $80.
I just installed a remote start system for $100 - figured if I was going to spend the money, might as well get something coll out of it.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by jerms212
Gotta be a dealership or locksmith.
Dealership wanted $150 for mine - locksmith wanted $80.
I just installed a remote start system for $100 - figured if I was going to spend the money, might as well get something coll out of it.
i was wondering if it needs special devices or its a just a precedure that they follow?

if it possible someone knew the method who was able to warch techs reprogram remotes or possibly working on dealerships please help us

according to my research u were ripped off it appears dealers doing it for 25$ or so and sell their remote for 69$ did you program another remote or went to remote start system

sorry bro congrats on your remote start

goodluck

Old 10-29-2014, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by a7m1
i was wondering if it needs special devices or its a just a precedure that they follow?

if it possible someone knew the method who was able to warch techs reprogram remotes or possibly working on dealerships please help us

according to my research u were ripped off it appears dealers doing it for 25$ or so and sell their remote for 69$ did you program another remote or went to remote start system

sorry bro congrats on your remote start

goodluck
It is not just a procedure that dealers follow, it's programming by their equipment.

Dealer prices are all over the place. Seems they can charge what they want.
I had a broken ring loop on one of my remotes. My local Chevy dealer wanted $75 for a new one, programed. They also said if I bought a new remote elsewhere, it would still cost $75 for programming.
I ended up getting a new case online and swapped the guts of the broken one into it.

Just another reason why I dislike Dealers.

Last edited by Bunger; 10-29-2014 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:36 AM

The GMC dealership charged 35.00 to program 2 remotes, took about 15 min.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
It is not just a procedure that dealers follow, it's programming by their equipment.

Dealer prices are all over the place. Seems they can charge what they want.
I had a broken ring loop on one of my remotes. My local Chevy dealer wanted $75 for a new one, programed. They also said if I bought a new remote elsewhere, it would still cost $75 for programming.
I ended up getting a new case online and swapped the guts of the broken one into it.

Just another reason why I dislike Dealers.

Good choice buying the external housing
also you can buy it for rubber replacement if it worn out,

I did that earlier to a mercury grand marquis key the rubber was worn out terribly, got a full replacement cover the replacement cover color was lighter(grey rather than black)

here's the outer shell for ~ 2 $ if anyone interested

Chevrolet GMC Hummer Keyless Entry Remote Key Cover Shell - US$1.80

will soon program this remote to my car using some cheap locksmith hopefully they can do it (I assume the equipment Is used everywhere where gm cars are serviced what is their tool called btw? tech2? )

anyways I thought the procedure would be some pedal dancing and clicking sort of things

good luck

Old 10-30-2014, 03:08 PM

Old 10-30-2014, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz

I gotta check if my dealer would do it for free although it's 95% likely to charge me , if they try to charge me I'll run away to nearest locksmith and get my remote programmed

thanks

Old 10-30-2014, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by a7m1
...anyways I thought the procedure would be some pedal dancing and clicking sort of things
It is that simple on most vehicles including other GM's.

I had a 2004 Chevy Tracker and bought 3 remotes online for about $20. I had to jumper 2 pins on the OBD port, push the remote while stepping on the brake pedal 4 times and BAM, programmed.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Bunger
It is that simple on most vehicles including other GM's.

I had a 2004 Chevy Tracker and bought 3 remotes online for about $20. I had to jumper 2 pins on the OBD port, push the remote while stepping on the brake pedal 4 times and BAM, programmed.

yea agreed,
I don't know why GM wanted to make the H3 so special
H2 is just few clicks to program remote

BTW ? is H3 ignition key has a chip in it? (transponder)

or it's just a metal cut and no programming needed?

Quick Reply: Programming new Remote?