PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed A New fuel Now Air Is Getting Into The Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM
Default Installed A New fuel Now Air Is Getting Into The Diesel

This is the second time I have dropped the tank and it has had this problem. Runs for a little while then it stutters and dies. I crack the fuel filter and a bunch of air escapes then it cranks back up roughly and I can go another half mile then it conks out again. The fuel pump is shaking and running loudly plus it has two different tones. Is this a hose issue from the tank or something else? I don't think its the pump. I have dropped in a new filter. Any suggestions would be great. I have a 94 wagon 6.5L.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

I assume that when you bleed the system you let the fuel run until you have a solid stream of fuel. If so then it sould like you may have a loose clamp or a small split or hole in a fuel line somewhere.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 AM

There is a bunch of clamps inline and there is a few different types of hoses (all patched together) leading up to the fuel pump. I will check it out. Thanks for the tip.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Default Still having fuel problems

So I replaced the rubber hoses parts on the fuel send and return lines. Installed a new filter sock in the tank, check all the copper pipes and I still am having problems. I unhooked the hose right after the fuel pump and it is squirting fuel in pulses so I guess its not the pump. It will crank up after a lot of peddle pumping, then run for a few minutes then just die out of nowhere. I open the fuel filter vent and a hiss of air escapes after each time. I didn't have this problem before I had to replace the tank so I assume it was something I did. I don't want to have to replace the fuel pump if it is not broken. It makes high and low pitch sounds while it is running. Anybody have any more suggestions this has become a little frustrating.