PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

problems, problems, problems…

Old 11-20-2018, 01:55 PM
Default problems, problems, problems…

Hey HF,

the last few years, the ole H3 has been burning up oil like crazy, and I usually just add a quart every other week or so. Recently, I’ve checked it every week and it isn’t even touching the dip stick, so we’re up to adding ~2 quarts a week. Any ideas?

I’ve needed a new radiator since I hit a turkey in 2016, but that’s low on my list right now 😂

Also, we had some wicked snow in PA last week and I had to put her in 4 lock to get up and down my hill of a driveway. The snow has since dissipated and she’s back to running in 4 high like always. But, since then shes fighting me to climb hills in drive or 3, smells ridiculously hot all the time (not like antifreeze, like brakes even when I’m not using them??) and is starting to shift hard. Is it time to get rid of her or can i fix any of these problems? Last thing I want to do is get rid of my baby, but I can’t break the bank fixing her either…

Many thanks

D

Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF. Miles on the 3 would be good to know when asking for help.

When was the last time you changed the Trans filter and fluid, same for oil?

You can't just drive around "needing a radiator", overheats and repeated high heats can be catastrophic, not to mention a leak in the Tranny cooler inside the radiator can mix coolant with with trans fluid. Warp a head, destroy a head gasket and all kinds of damage will be done, like excessive oil consumption, mixing coolant with oil, burning coolant.....

Check the coolant and trans fluids for cross contamination, and same with the engine oil.