PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Premium Gasoline?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:54 PM
Default Premium Gasoline?

Hello,

I know that the H3 requires only 89 octane, but can I use premiumgasolinesuch as 93 octane? Will this cause negative effects to the motor? My reasoning for premium is because it burns cleaner, more power, and better gas milage.I have always used premium gasoline on all my vehicles. There isn't much money difference between the grades.

A co-worker states that damage will be caused because the motor is not made to handle high octane. I do question the credibility to this statement.

This is my 1st domestic so please be kind to this question.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:45 PM
Default RE: Premium Gasoline?

OK. I have a Alpha and only run 87! The Alpha only needs 87 why would you want to spend the extra $ and not get a thing from it! Put your $ in the Bank!

Old 09-19-2007, 11:58 PM

I have an Alpha too, and have only run 87 octane in it so far, but I used to only use premium gas, years ago, before the gas price crunch, and I have to say that no matter what vehicle I put premium in, it always ran better and got better gas mileage. I would have to say that you will see a difference in what fuel you put in, if it is better quality. It's up to you if you want to spend the extra money. What I usually do nowadays is I try to only put in high grade 87 octane gas, like Shell or B.P. Those two brands, especially Shell, seem to make my vehicles run a little better and get better gas mileage. Speedway, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as good of quality.

My observations on the gas mileage come from a Jeep Cherokee and a Grand Cherokee with 4.7 high-output V-8, that both had trip computers that gave mileage to the tenth of a gallon.

Bottom line, in my observations (though no completely scientific) are thatusing a more expensive, better quality brand of gas, or a more expensive grade of gas will both give you better performance. You will not be wasting your money. It's just a matter of what you are willing to spend.

I have also been told by knowledgeable sources that it is not good to switch back and forth between grades. Pick either 87, 89, or premium, and stick with that choice for the time you have the vehicle, as switching can cause problems.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:29 AM

Premium doesn’t burn any "cleaner" than any other grade. If you are referring to detergents that prevent engine deposits, the levels are mandated by the EPA and all automotive fuels require the same amount.

You won't get any more power from the higher octane. Many people believe that you do get more power from the increased octanebecause high performance cars need high octane fuel. In reality, the high performance engine will make more power due to the higher compression of the engine. It is because of the higher compression that the engine makes more power. The high octane fuel is required to prevent detonation (pinging).

More gas mileage? Not sure how. You aren’t getting more HP from the high octane fuel, so it takes just as much fuel to make the vehicle go.

There is nothing wrong with switching the octane level of your fuel. Running an engine in a hot dry environment at a low altitude will require higher octane fuel then a cooler, more humid location at a higher elevation. This is why when you start getting in to higher elevations the low octane fuel is typically 85 where most other places it is 87.

Go by what the manufacturer suggests for octane. If you notice pinging, increase the octane level you are using, unless it is a newer vehicle under warrantee, in which case you should make the manufacture fix it.

If you still feel like spending the extra $, the oil guys have enough, you can just send your extra to me.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:06 AM

steve#1 hiit it on the head,the only real point of high octane is to prevent pinging,although i use octane booster in my demolition derby cars,but it makes really cool blue flames come out of the stacks,just a cool factor is all

Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 AM

The manual says 87 Octane (regular unleaded). That's all I used for 5 years in my H2 and it's all I use in my new H3. No pinging.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:02 AM

Steve is dead on.

The H3 manual and recomendation is 87 regular fuel, you will not see anything from an engine/car that was produced for 87 fuel. Now if you had a Ferrari, then it's a whole nother story, but just as steve mentioned, thats because of the very high compression that the engine runs.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:18 AM

To be honest, I will NEVER buy the low-end gasoline ever again. I had a '96 Chevy S-10 with the 4.3L Vortec and all I ever ran in it was Chevron low end. About every three to four months, I would have two bad fuel injectors just out of the blue. Couple more months, couple more injectors. I finally did some research and found out it had to do the the refinery. The put an additive in the crude oil to allow it to flow easier in the pipes. This substance has similar characteristics to sugar; when it is hot it flows nice but when it cools off, it will crystallize. Apparently, the mystery substance is not fully processed out of the lower level fuel. When I switched to mid-grade, all my problems disappeared.

When I go off-roading at higher altitudes (>10,000 ft), I will top-off with the high end fuel. I never had it ping, but I think I get a little more umph when climbing in the thin air.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:26 AM

Thanks for your imput!

It looks like I will stick to atleast 89. As for my warrant, it is just what I'm use to. I came fromvehilces that required 93 octane. Anything less, it would not perform well. I'd figure that putting in 93 would yield better results to the "inferior" 87. My reasoning is not scientific either. Is there any oil/gas gurus here?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: TacticalH3

Thanks for your imput!

It looks like I will stick to atleast 89. As for my warrant, it is just what I'm use to. I came fromvehilces that required 93 octane. Anything less, it would not perform well. I'd figure that putting in 93 would yield better results to the "inferior" 87. My reasoning is not scientific either. Is there any oil/gas gurus here?
Actually you are wasting your money on 89 octane but that is your right to do. Actually low octace gas burns hotter and faster that the high octane. The higher octane gas has an additive to prevent and retard the burn. Usually this is on higher compression engines. All have the same detergents as mentioned before. 87 is hotter than 89 so why go to 89 octane? Gas is pricey enough.

Quick Reply: Premium Gasoline?