Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/)
-   -   Plastic trim discoloration (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/private-sale-trade-classifieds-10/plastic-trim-discoloration-29291/)

steveng 11-01-2012 07:59 PM

Plastic trim discoloration

has anyone experienced any discoloration on their exterior plastic trim, such as the sides of the windshield or the sides of the back windshield? any way to combat it?

djren12 11-01-2012 08:51 PM

I use Mothers Back to black after every wash and it works great

BlueH3 11-01-2012 09:13 PM

Yes, I combated it with dealer replaced under warranty. Replaced both sides graciously...one was horrible shape, other basically ok. You have an 09 like me, still in warranty with mileage?

steveng 11-02-2012 11:20 AM

Yeah just broke 25k. Barely any miles. Thanks for the info

Doc Olds 11-02-2012 12:50 PM

Pull em off and paint them, the only permanent fix. There have been many threads on this and how to.

BlueH3 11-02-2012 06:09 PM

Not sure on WipeNew---saw the infomerical only. Probably too good to be true.

Drewski 11-03-2012 01:01 PM

Mine look the same.. I also saw that WipeNew and considered that

ttyndall 11-03-2012 01:51 PM

Steveng,
All vehicles seem to have that problem. I am new to the forum so not sure what I am allowed to say or not say so if I violate a rule I apologize.
Go the Adamspolishes.com and order some IN&Out Spray. Works wonderful.

Doc Olds suggestion is the only true solution but if you want a temporary fix to use when you wash the vehicle this is a great fix. They have all kinds of videos on their website showing how to use eveything.
Good Luck.

ttyndall 11-03-2012 05:53 PM

Steveng,
Forget to mention VRT. In&Out Spray is mailnly used on areas you have trouble getting to like at the base of the windshield and wipers. Hard to get to places. The VRT is basically the same stuff but liquid andapplied with a sponge. It goes further because you don't have the waste like you do with an aerosol spray so it ends up costing less. If you try it buy both to save money. I had a Jeep SRT8 and a Charger SRT8 and used it on both and loved it. I just applied it to my Hummer tonight.

egroegart 11-04-2012 12:06 AM

I don't know if this is good advice or not, but it's what we've been doing with our previous wrangler and 2 door monster cherokee. Every time we wash it when we are done we take a rag spray tire shine on it and wipe all the plastics that are faded, the ones you mentioned, then from the front to the back that plastic piece that goes up along the windshield up and to the back of the hummer on both sides. Then any other plastics that are faded. The tire shine stuff works great and lasts well to our next wash which is once a week. It really makes all of those parts stand out and shine. We do the hood louver too. You get what you pay for. I've used cheap tire shine before with terrible results on the tires and all the plastics. Spend a little more and you will get a product that will last and look good. It's simple to do and only takes a few minutes each time you wash.