PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plastic Fork on the Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 09:54 AM
Default Plastic Fork on the Transfer Case

Hello
I remember people are complaining about this cheap plastic fork on their transfer case that causes some problems the moment it cracks.
What are the symptoms once it is cracked? Does it create strange sounds(crackling, squeaking) when pressing the gas? My 08 H3 had been experiencing some crazy stuff like as if it is going out of power going uphill then the more I press on the gas the louder the strange sounds as if something is going to break underneath.
Is it possible that the sound is caused by that cracked fork but I'm not sure if it's crack or not yet. But is it possible?

My truck is 146,000 klms

Thanks in advance.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM

The plastic shift fork was on 2006 and some 2007 I believe. Sounds like you have another problem.

Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by K0PIR
The plastic shift fork was on 2006 and some 2007 I believe. Sounds like you have another problem.
Good point. I don't have the SN handy, but GM made the switch to metal forks about March 1, 2007... might have been late Feb?

Anyways, 2008s do not have that issue.

If you think it is not the front diff, then possibly your T Case chain is skipping because they stretch over time. CB Photo's old Green H3 made some crazy clicking sounds and slipped when climbing, it was the T Case.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:07 PM

Sounds like the trans is the issue.

Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Good point. I don't have the SN handy, but GM made the switch to metal forks about March 1, 2007... might have been late Feb?

Easy to tell way if you have an early 07. Early 07's will have the driver's side window controls on the flat of the arm rest, later ones will have the controls on the slant of the armrest, like the 08's.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:11 PM
rsc

Thats not a good indicator of whats inside. The majority of '07's are the "early" model. My wife's '07 has the rearward door controls but not the plastic shift fork or xfer case oil level issue. My '07 with the rearward window controls has the xfer case issue but not the plastic shift fork. You have to look at VIN numbers to tell. My H3 was bought new in Dec of '06, I forget the build date.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:14 PM
rsc

RayosEquis, do you have any lurching with the creaking noises or does the engine rev up and down as you press the pedal above 50 mph?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=rsc;322870]RayosEquis, do you have any lurching with the creaking noises or does the engine rev up and down as you press the pedal above 50 mph?[/QUO

Thanks for your reply RSC

Nope I didn't experience any lurching or swaying, no rev up/down either on pedal press.

It's just a sound of carrying a heavy load, but I must get my foot off of the gas pedal right away or else the sound gets even worst that as if something is gonna break underneath.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds

If you think it is not the front diff, then possibly your T Case chain is skipping because they stretch over time. CB Photo's old Green H3 made some crazy clicking sounds and slipped when climbing, it was the T Case.

Thanks Doc makes sense I'd rather have my front diff check first then the T Case chain.......keep my fingers crossed

Old 02-07-2015, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by rsc
Thats not a good indicator of whats inside. The majority of '07's are the "early" model. My wife's '07 has the rearward door controls but not the plastic shift fork or xfer case oil level issue. My '07 with the rearward window controls has the xfer case issue but not the plastic shift fork. You have to look at VIN numbers to tell. My H3 was bought new in Dec of '06, I forget the build date.
Yes your right.I agree not a good indicator of what inside. I know the 10# in the vin indicates the year 11# factory id. Then the last 6# are sequential numbers. If your refering to the transfer case oil level having to get 8 oz in at the sensor to bring up to level I read vin #prior100102 last 6 digits in vin# has that problem.
To find the month I look on drivers side door rocker panel under door latch it will tell ya month and year manufactured. hope this helps somebody out their.

Quick Reply: Plastic Fork on the Transfer Case