PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pass lock,ignition switch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Default Pass lock,ignition switch replacement

My 06 is doing the whole sometimes won't start and flashes the padlock for 10mins crap so I have read up and figured out it needs a pass lock. I went to the dealer ship and got a new ignition switch and all 85.00$ I read some where u can just change the plastic part out( I assume is the passlock part)? Or do I need to change the whole ignition?
I pulled it apart and looked at it theres a tamper proof bolt on the top and other little bolts but I have idea how you get to them with out pulling the steering wheel and what not? I have googled and searched and can't find anywhere how to replace it. Ay help would be awesome .
Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 08:42 PM

Bump... No 1 has changed them there selfs??

Old 09-18-2012, 08:11 AM

Mine's been doing the same thing, but I haven't done anything yet. I thought taking the ignition out would be easy enough, but I guess not.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:32 AM

I could just be making it hard but I can't find any info at all about replacing -
1. I hope you can just change the black plastic part out but idk

Old 09-18-2012, 02:22 PM

All it takes is a search, try it. "passlock"

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...acement-25563/

This should help.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:15 PM

I have searched up and down I have already seen that post no where In it do they say how to replace it. I know the problem just looking for advice on how to change it

Old 09-18-2012, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by cummins5390
I have searched up and down I have already seen that post no where In it do they say how to replace it. I know the problem just looking for advice on how to change it
Actually it kind of does mention it (see below). Due to the fact that once you replace it you will not be able to start your vehicle without haveing the BCM accept the new passlock. Unless you have a GM OBDII it looks like a dealer item.

Originally Posted by soutcaliH3
I replaced mine at 28,000 miles .in 2011.

Take your Hummer H3 , drive it to the dealer , (wait the 10 minutes until the passlock is reset by itself) in case in doesn't start, Buy an ignition switch , just the plastic cylinder , but they might sell you the whole thing , the metal ignition switch housing too.

Or Have it replace yourself and You MUST tow it to the dealer for passcode reset - if you have AAA. will be free . If not let the dealer replace it.

Passcode reset runs about 80 dollars. or 1/2 hour labor

Old 09-19-2012, 08:21 AM

I have a genesis scan tool so I can do it my self but once again it still doesn't tell me how to exchange it says do it at the dealer ship that's not any help on actually
Changing the part out ... That wOuld be like "how to change your oil" step 1 drain oil and refill ... Doesn't help much

Old 09-19-2012, 11:59 PM

I get understand what you are saying. WOW, you have a Genisys. That's a pretty nice tool you have there!

I know it is in the H3/H3T repair manual. It is an invaluable tool. Maybe someone with an electronic copy can help.

Old 09-20-2012, 12:29 PM

Yeah we use to run a small diesel shop so we kept all the good stuff but know I work for FedEx freight on big trucks ... Thanks I'll have to try to find the manual

Quick Reply: Pass lock,ignition switch replacement