PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

P0300 and P0305 Codes

Old 04-22-2014, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by norinco3264

Notice how dirty coil pack 3 is.
Fluid intrusion, replace the coil (cheaper per coil when you purchase 5 at time)

Old 04-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by hummerz
Swap the spark plug and ignition coil from #5 to another cylinder.
Clear codes & run, then check codes again. GL
Will do. I'll have this done tomorrow, will report in with results.
I'll also use my brand new coil pack to replace the gunky one. Bought it at advance auto for 55.. wish i would have known about the set of 5 haha. Thanks

Last edited by norinco3264; 04-22-2014 at 05:33 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:27 PM

hummerz, thank you for fixing that, i didn't do it on purpose, i just was in a hurry and not watching, my typing skills are slipping with my memory.
norinco, my apologies, i should have re read my reply.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:38 PM

No problem h3coyote, i appreciate your input.

As for the water intrusion, that only occured in coil pack 3. Guess it has no effect on the cylinder 5 misfire and is a totally separate problem?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:49 AM

No problem h3coyote, i appreciate your input.

As for the water intrusion, that only occured in coil pack 3. Guess it has no effect on the cylinder 5 misfire and is a totally separate problem?
I personally would consider them separate issues for now (till the misfire is resolved first), however, the fluid intrusion can possibly lead to the multiple misfire issue, I'm stating the obvious there, I can see by your mechanical aptitude you would already know that, but I'm just thinking out loud.

Don't forget what hummerz and doc were saying about making sure the boots were totally snugged in place, as this could very well have been what caused it from the beginning.

"When you place the coil on plug pack back on the new spark plug, you have to put it back on the plug like a regular spark plug boot. Make sure the plug goes in the boot and the boot is all the way down and centered on the plug, then tighten the retaining bolt."

I think they're on to something with that as I keep re reading the thread, and looking at the pics.

Has it gotten that wet before? Not that you would've been looking for it, but maybe noticed it and passed it by because the misfire didn't occur at that time?

I wish I knew more that could help a little better, today mine is at the dealership, as I type this actually, for three things:

1. MULTIPLE MISFIRE
2. Cracked Exhaust Manifold
3. Steering Column

When I hear back from them I'll ask the Tech. specifically about it, and have some more ideas. I will keep you posted on their findings as well.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 PM

Will do. I'll have this done tomorrow, will report in with results.
I'll also use my brand new coil pack to replace the gunky one. Bought it at advance auto for 55.. wish i would have known about the set of 5 haha. Thanks
Just take the coil back to advance and order the set that I listed, you should receive in a few days.

By doing a swap with coil and plug, you can identify or rule out the source of the misfire as it could be something else.

Regardless, I would recommend that you get a set of 5 coils for your rig, (common issue with the I-5, and save the old coils) especially at the price offered on ebay. GL

Old 04-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Default Update

Originally Posted by H3Coyote
I personally would consider them separate issues for now (till the misfire is resolved first), however, the fluid intrusion can possibly lead to the multiple misfire issue, I'm stating the obvious there, I can see by your mechanical aptitude you would already know that, but I'm just thinking out loud.

Don't forget what hummerz and doc were saying about making sure the boots were totally snugged in place, as this could very well have been what caused it from the beginning.

"When you place the coil on plug pack back on the new spark plug, you have to put it back on the plug like a regular spark plug boot. Make sure the plug goes in the boot and the boot is all the way down and centered on the plug, then tighten the retaining bolt."

I think they're on to something with that as I keep re reading the thread, and looking at the pics.

Has it gotten that wet before? Not that you would've been looking for it, but maybe noticed it and passed it by because the misfire didn't occur at that time?

I wish I knew more that could help a little better, today mine is at the dealership, as I type this actually, for three things:

1. MULTIPLE MISFIRE
2. Cracked Exhaust Manifold
3. Steering Column

When I hear back from them I'll ask the Tech. specifically about it, and have some more ideas. I will keep you posted on their findings as well.
Thanks again for the guidance!
-As far as getting wet before, I'd say there's a good possibility because for the first 4 years of ownership I practically washed it twice weekly

-When I installed the new coil pack, I visually inspected to check that the plug was centered within the boot, but to some degree It seemed impossible to be 100% sure because it's such a small area, I couldn't see much once I got the coil pack on the plug. It felt/looked even though.

-May I ask your year and miles? If mine was under warranty I'd get it checked asap, but without one I'd get reemed!

UPDATE:

Yesterday I opened her back up and swapped Spark plug 5 with spark plug 2 (no specific reason why other than knowing cylinder 2 never had an issue.
After doing that, I gave Cylinder 5 a brand new coil pack. Made sure everything appeared sealed, and went to work. NO CODE so far! ... But strangely I seem to have a more rough idle. I can feel it in the steering wheel, seat, and dash.

[IMG][/IMG]

Note= you may notice I left the original coil pack 5 (as indicated with the marker, lol) in the 4th position. I did this because it looked flawless. Water intrusion only occured in the 3rd position.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:03 PM

Check for a vacuum leak, clean the injectors, or it could be the camshaft position actuator solenoid, which is also a common issue with the I5( more information here):

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...missing-32913/

Old 04-25-2014, 10:12 AM

As of now still no code, fingers crossed!
I was monitoring that thread regarding the Camshaft Position (cmp) Actuator Solenoid. Which of the two listed in links do you recommend? I assume it's a pretty easy replacement?

Last edited by norinco3264; 04-25-2014 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:35 AM

Well, that's a gr8 start... glad to see your getting it worked out.
* Maf
* tb Clean
* intake bolts tight
* air filter
* injectors

Chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0300 and P0305 Codes