PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Oil in the Sparkplug Well

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 10:25 PM
Default Oil in the Sparkplug Well

Hi again guys. I did a search but apparently the words ”oil” and “well” are too common to search for. Lol.

So I just changed my spark plugs and as I was pulling the most rear coil pack I noticed that it had oil on the tip of it. I looked into the well and there was a small puddle of oil surrounding the spark plug. Call me an idiot but I did nothing to soak up the oil as I didn’t think it would harm any if I let it fall into the cylinder. I pulled the plug and the oil dropped down. I replaced the rest of the plugs and put everything back in. I started her up and she was nice and smooth but then I saw a huge plume of light colored smoke surround my car. I looked at the tail pipe and it seemed to be coming from there but dissipating. As the smoke started to disappear I got back into the cab and revved the engine a few times just waiting for a CEL to pop up. None but as I looked forward I saw more smoke. Coming from the engine bay. I got out and there was tons of smoke coming from the rear of the engine. At that point I thought I was screwed. A few hours of stressing and a few other forum reads later, after having to visit the in laws, I took her for a spin. Once around the block and the normal CEL comes up. P0017, I get this one all the time. Comes and goes. I pull over and the engine is still smoking from behind. Not so much smoke this time. I took her on the highway and got her up to 4000 RPMs twice while trying to get to 80 on the freeway entrance. I get her back home, open the hood while still running and no more smoke! I guess I had to burn it off.

Anywho, after all this my question is.....

Has as anyone ever experienced the oil in the plug well before? Has anyone fixed or had this fixed?

Old 06-16-2018, 11:13 PM

In case anyone wants to know. It’s an 06 H3 with 152K miles.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:39 AM
Old 06-17-2018, 09:18 PM

I unknowingly had pieces of spark plug ceramic fall into my engine when I changed mine. They rattled around and scratched up the cylinder walls but didn't cause any major damage, I got really lucky. Hopefully the oil just burned up and didn't cause you any damage but I honestly don't know, maybe some one else here would know. As far as the oil getting in there, did you check the o rings?

Old 06-18-2018, 02:35 AM

@HOF, I sure hope things smoothed out for you... ha ha.

She seems to be running fine. Took the family out with it today for about 70 miles or so with a lot of inclines and she’s running smooth so far.

As far as the source of the oil in the well, after some research there are three known causes.

These are: plug well/tube rings, valve cover seal or a faulty ventilation system in the crankcase. There may be others but this is what I gathered.

A few months back my breather tube that connects from the valve cover to the intake was deteriorated. I smelled fumes in my car for months that smelled like exhaust. After a few trips to the shop and being faced with doubt, skepticism and multiple invoices later, the smell still wouldn’t go away.

After dropping off my daughter at school one morning I noticed a small amount of smoke coming from the hood. I took it in immediately and showed it to my guy. It was the deteriorated hose causing the smoke and guess what else? The exhaust smell that my family (including an infant baby) had been huffing for the past 8 months.

Anyhow, I think the lack of vacuum during that time of having a broken hose caused excess pressure in the crankcase causing oil to seep into any weaker seals. I checked the plug well this morning and I did not see any oil so hopefully that was it. I’ll be checking the coil pack again soon, probably once a week for the next few months to see if any more oil wells up. Hopefully no more oil shows up.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Actually, your oil came from the intake vent (the hose that dried out). That is the vacuum that draws in blow-by under heavy throttle.

There have been many people that look in the intake when changing plugs and freak out because of some oil residue, couple people had puddles in the bottom of the intake resonator too.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:18 AM

Well there’s source number 4! Lol

Do you think it was due to the deteriored hose that caused it to seep from that area? Or is it just common to happen? I’ve heard that if the other vent on the driver side isn’t flowing that this can cause the same issue.

Thanks to you Doc I can check my spark plugs # 2,4 and 5 almost anytime I want since there’s nothing in the way with your intake installed. That wire harness makes it a pain for #1 and the intake covers #3. Great product!

Old 06-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AyGuey
Well there’s source number 4! Lol

Do you think it was due to the deteriored hose that caused it to seep from that area? Or is it just common to happen? I’ve heard that if the other vent on the driver side isn’t flowing that this can cause the same issue.

Thanks to you Doc I can check my spark plugs # 2,4 and 5 almost anytime I want since there’s nothing in the way with your intake installed. That wire harness makes it a pain for #1 and the intake covers #3. Great product!
The "other vent" runs directly to the intake manifold, that is designed to handle about 70% Crankcase ventilation, the rest of the vacuum comes from the intake vent hose into the air intake.

It could be more common now that these trucks are getting older, that vent hose won't last forever.

Thanks.