PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Off Roading on 18" wheels??

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Off Roading on 18" wheels??

Part duex, if you don't want your wheels to "Stick" out you need to mention if you are going to lift it or not. If you lift it your offset will have to push the wheel out to clear the suspension. If you are NOT lifting it than you have to look at the offset of the origanal wheel and match that up to the 18", 20", 22", 24" etc.... You can't problebly go below 16"or you will grind off your calipers. But you also have to consider the rim width as well when doing this too.

P.S. My 2007 Dodge came with 20" from the factory, so I don't know whats up with this ghetto S&#^$

Old 12-01-2007, 01:13 PM

lifted or not you will need to get an offset to push the rim out from the control arms if you want to run 35's. If not you will rub slightly at full lock.

Realjeep...the hummer thing hasn't made off road tires go to 17,18, and 20" rims.....the times changed. Unlike chitty dana 30 Jeep axles that can only handle 35's stock most fullsize trucks can go bigger...35"s used to be HUGE now....they a 35 is a small tire. I would say 38's are the norm for a lifted truck now......now a 38 on a 20" rim leaves you 18" of sidewall....35's on a 16" rim leaves 19 of sidewall.....I have no problem with running a 20" rim on a 38" or bigger tire.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM

I thought he was saying he didn't want the wheels to stick out past the tires, cuz they could get ground up on stuff. Idk that i've seen too many wheels like that....but i think the wheels out the side of the vehicle a little bit is good for off roading. I know they will throw rocks and mud or what not, but think if you're on a off camber trail with rocks to the side, i would much rather slide over into the rocks with my wheels and tires then my BODY! CRUNCH time!

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Feez68

I think any wheels over 16 or 17 inches look ghetto on ANY vehicle, whether it's a street car, or a Hummer. Why would you want to copy ghetto fads of criminals?

18" wheels are what came stock on my 07 H3 that I bought about a month ago. I went with the stock size wheel when I recently put on Helo Maxx 18x9 and 325/60 (33's) Nitto's. I am sure not getto nor a criminal
Name:  SV100817.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  86.7 KB

Old 12-02-2007, 12:53 AM

The stock tire size are 32" and the one option puts you on 33". Readingthis seems that he is more worried about tire width on the rim. Sometimes specifics help. Just a note all tire manufacturers have a recommended rim width for the particular size, and most wheels are 7", 7.5", 8", 9",10", 12".If you check the website I posted earlier you can plug in the numbers and do a comparison and it gives you a visual.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:28 AM

Hummerguy,

The red racing edition Hummer on your post is a possible exception. Maybe it's the beadlocks. Sorry guys, I guess I'm just old-fasioned as I just "don't get" the big rims and short tirething. I don't see the point. They just remind me of the stuff that all the inner-city dope/crack dealers put on their cars because the have too much drug money in their pockets, and they think anything gaudy, that looks like a pimp-mobile is cool. i.e., they have no taste. So when I see it on anything else, I just see the '75 Caddy with the 24" gold spinners. Sorry if I offended, I was just throwing out my opinion, along with everybody else.

I saw two guys the other night, that were both driving '92 Crown Vics with the $3000 dollar custom paint jobs, that had been jacked up and converted to 4X4. I didn't get that either. I just think it looks stupid.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Hummer Guy

With that wheel you're probably going to have a wider tire - which you can still get an agressive tire, and you're only losing one inch of sidewall. Keep in mind, airing down is to give yourself a wider footprint...by having a wider tire installed, you will lessen the need to air down to get sidewall traction. Now, serious rock climbing when the tire really grabs on, you may see a difference...but the main danger isjust scratching and denting when larger rocks get tossed around -- I wouldn't let it hold you back from buying the wheels, though.

I'd give more credit to the importance of the airing down of a tire allowing it to conform to an object. Something as simple as traversing a log on a road, at full presure the tire may just push the log along. It the tire is able to wrap around the log and begin puting weight down on it to hold it in place the tire will continue over it. In my book, it's a 50-50 deal.

I remember the days when the guys running 16s were given a hard time for there big wheels and there car (p-metric) tires. Then there were the real pavement pounders with 16.5s.

Feez, you need to get past your stereotypes. [sm=lame.gif]

Old 12-04-2007, 02:03 AM

We're still running with p-metrics BTW. But you mention about the old days but you have to remember you had drum brakes/Bias-Ply all the way around too, so you didn't have a rim fitment issue like today were the Disc Brake/Steel Belted Radialsis now the norm. Oh and the Red Hummer has Faux beadlocks BTW it just has the look.

Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 AM

I'm not complaining, I'll take the trade off of having to run 16s for decent brakes.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve #1

I'd give more credit to the importance of the airing down of a tire allowing it to conform to an object. Something as simple as traversing a log on a road, at full presure the tire may just push the log along. It the tire is able to wrap around the log and begin puting weight down on it to hold it in place the tire will continue over it. In my book, it's a 50-50 deal.
Ehh - I rarely, if ever, air down the tires for off-roading. Some obstacles may require a little more punch/momentum, but controled aggressiontowards a log, to me,is easier than airing down. That's not to say that there aren't situations that airing down would be preferable, I just think a lot of people air down when they don't need to.

Quick Reply: Off Roading on 18" wheels??