PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure if Traction Controll is working??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Default Not sure if Traction Controll is working??

Something I noticed this last time I managed to get myself stuck in some serious clay Mud.

I could only manage to get three wheels to turn two back and one front.

The one in the front was spinning but TC did not engage the other side even when "spinning" the tires? I am concerned that my traction controll is not working propely?

Any suggestions/Advice would be appretiated?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Not sure if Traction Controll is working??

Did you try puting one foot on the brake while giving a bit of throttle just to see if it made any difference? They say you are not supposed to BTM an H3, but I was just wondering? I assume because you did not mention it the TC and/or StabiliTrack off was not displayed.

TC works by just applying brake to the moving wheel to try to shift power to the non-moving wheel on the opposite side, unfortunately it is not a
substitute for a locking differential. [&o] It helps, but it is no locker.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Doc Olds

They say you are not supposed to BTM an H3
Says who?

I do - especially if I don't have a rear locker - itallows more controled movementthan the TC system (can be jerky) on some obstacles. That's more for rock crawling, though - not mud driving, I normally let the TC do its thing in the mud.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

You have an 06 Manual.............different animal than T Rex. Literally...

I should have been more specific, they say you should not BTM an Auto Trans or any 2007/08 H3. [&o]
I can't remember where I saw that, and it was from two sources. Should I dare to look at the 2007 manual????

Old 05-07-2008, 11:58 PM

Please help a nonamerican... WTF is BTM ?

Old 05-08-2008, 12:31 AM

ORIGINAL: General

Please help a nonamerican... WTF is BTM ?
Brake/Throtal Maniulation - basicly manual traction control. You use presure on the brake to stop wheels with less traction to get the other ones going.

Doc.... you have confused your hummer[space/no space]guys.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:15 AM

I did not try this technique called BTM? But will try it again under extreme conditions only if really needed ................ Good to know

I really need a front locker as this 4x4 is very heavy and it took three other 4x4's pulling together as well as digging to get me out as I was probably 4Tons of dead weight.

On the flip side howeverthe extra weightreally helps when you need to pull other's out of the mud

Old 05-08-2008, 08:47 AM

Traction control is an exceptionally lame way to do what HUMMER should have done in the first place and that is to install a locker in front. T/C is absolutely NO replacement for a locking diff! Good news is that they have wised up and are installing them in the 09's but pre-09 H3's are left out in the cold. Here's my beef with Traction Control for those who may not know how it works.

T/C works by sensing wheel slip in off road and slippery driving conditions. Example: If you're driving in the mud and the left front wheel starts spinning, T/C will apply brake to that wheel so the open differential will send power to the right front wheel because it has more traction.(In theory of course) This action will go on as long as the situation exists or the T/C burns up, whichever comes first. Now here's the beef. The very last thing you want in a deep mud hole is some stupid electronic device mashing the brake to one wheel when you need that wheel to be doing it's job!

Cue the lockers! A Locker, either Eaton, Detroit, ARB or ANY locker or limited slip diff is better than T/C. A locker doesn't need to sense squat and it doesn't need some cue from a CPU somewhere when to work. You push a button, throw a switch or activate it any number of ways depending on type and your two sides are locked up tight. Four wheel drive as God has intended it, all four corners doing their job without the aid of computers.

"That's all I have to say 'bout that"

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM

Keep in mind that if you have it in 4Low then the TC is automatically turned off. Also when I engage my rear locker it turns off the TC.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: SandT_H3

Keep in mind that if you have it in 4Low then the TC is automatically turned off. Also when I engage my rear locker it turns off the TC.
4low turns off stability control, not traction control.

Quick Reply: Not sure if Traction Controll is working??