PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Nitto Mud Grapplers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Default Nitto Mud Grapplers?

Hi Guys-

Just in the process of purchasing a beautiful '08 H3, completely OEM stock. I want to do a few things to this vehicle and was hoping to get the benefit of your collective wisdom.

FYI, I am buying this to replace a 2000 Isuzu Vehicross that has been a great vehicle for a number of years. My VX was modified with an OME 3" lift kit and 31" Kelly Safari MT tires. I loved the extra ride height and just how cool it looked. I want to do something similar with my new H3.

I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject. But I'm still a little unclear on a number of points. First, if I wanted to go with a set of Nitto Mud Grappler MT tires in a 33" to 35" size would I be able to do so using something like a ROX H3 3" Lift Kit with ProComp shocks? I also understand there are things that can be done with the stock suspension to add a certain amount of lift -- which presumably will allow a bigger tire to be fitted to the stock 16" wheels. But here I'm unclear as to how much lift can be achieved and at what cost in degrading ride and handling.

BTW, I've no interest in buying a fifty trillion dollar set of Rock Star wheels, or however much these bling bling things are going for these days. I actually think my H3's stock 16" OEM wheels look quite nice so I hope to be able to put the Nittos on my existing set of wheels.

Money no object I would probably select for a full 6" lift and go with the Nitto 37" MT Grapplers. But unfortunately, money -is- an object so I am going to need to select for something a bit more modest. So that's the gist of what I'm trying to accomplish. Again, any thoughts or suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:59 PM

Welcome,
First of all let me say that I agree with you that the OEM 16" wheels are nice.
That said, you can put 35" tires (315/75/16) on an H3 with NO modifications at all.
Most people "level" the H3 to raise the front roughly equal to the rear.
Nothing is needed other that turning the bolts to adjust the torsion bars. (lots of info on that procedure here).

Leveling kits are a WASTE OF MONEY and do nothing more than what a t-bar adjustment does.
That ROX kit is a leveling kit. You don't need new keys or rear shackles. (again WASTE OF MONEY)
The only TRUE lifting options are the Tough Country 4" or the Rancho 4" lift kit with shocks of your choice (everyone has an opinion on shocks).

You can also go with a Daystar 1" body lift for a little extra height.

And lastly, unless you have the Alpha (V8) model, forget about 37" tires.
The inlne 5 cylinder models don't have the ***** to roll such a heavy set of tires.

Here's mine with just the torsion bar adjustment on 35" Goodyear Duratrac's.

Name:  7a9bd9c0-1fe3-4c1b-8b01-57b37e9e92e5_zps6b728c1e.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  112.4 KB

Last edited by Bunger; 08-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks Bunger for the excellent feedback. Really nice looking rig you've got there by the way. I like the roof running lights, the winch and also the roof basket. I'll post some photos of my H3 once I get a few things done.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:11 PM

Here is mine, stock with the torsion lift and a new set of 305 Dura tracs. Makes all the difference in the world, now people stop and look as you drive by!

Attached Thumbnails Nitto Mud Grapplers?-dennish3-1.jpg   Nitto Mud Grapplers?-dennish3-2.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 11:26 PM

Doubling up on what Bunger said.

No need to modify anything to fit upto a 315/75R16 (35" tire on the stock rim). Leveling is for looks and a little more OffRoad clearence (it does look better in my opinion).

The Nittos Mud Grapplers are some the heaviest and loudest tires around. Heavy tires suck power. I would look into another brand that has better OnRoad manners, is quieter and lighter. I assume you have an I5 since you didn't mention your 08 being an Alpha (V8).

Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 AM

Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys. I actually have those exact Kelly TSR Safari tires on my Isuzu VX. I like them fine. Just think the Nitto Mud Grapplers look WAY more cool.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM

I run the trail grapplers, and I am getting rid of them and the aftermarket wheels. As Mutaint said they are extremely heavy. My h3 has a hard time running down the highway if there is any type of incline. I am thinking about going to Fierce Attitude M/Ts