PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie needing expert answers !!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Default Newbie needing expert answers !!

I am a newbie in search of a hummer h3, h3 Alpha or h3T.. I have some questions before I make a decision and need the help of experts. I have been reading many posts, but would like to get soem updated info.

1) In buying a used h3, what problem areas / recalls / design defects bymodel year should I look for?

2) On a pure stock h3, realistically what mpg should a person get ?

3) When taking a VERY BRIEF test drive today, I noticed alot of body roll when I quickly but slightly jerked on the wheel, IS this common?? ANy stability probelms with?? Again this was a very brief test drive.

4) what other suggestions can you make on the H3?

5) What is everyones feeling about how the h3t will be priced , comparing that the h3 currently has a $7 to 10 k rebate.

Your honest opinions would be appreciated, and yes, I am not buying it for the mpg.. JUst had a freind claim hers made half of what the sticker said... She has a problem with the truth, so I would rather have your opinions....

thanks,

Old 08-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Newbie needing expert answers !!

Sticker has been pretty accurate on the mileage. If your friend has a real heavy foot she may do worse. Hard to pass up the rebates on the 08s. Haven't seen an H3T in person but those that have are in love with it. As for the body roll they are SUVs. If you crank the wheel at speed it will not react like a car. That said H3s will handle more slope than anything else in its class so stability is not an issue when compared to other like vehicles.

Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM

Is the head problemonly on the 2006 model?? And this test drive was a used h3,, might have a problem.. My brothers fj doesnt behave this way, neither has any suv I have driven.. could this be isolated??? Appreciate the help!!!

Old 08-15-2008, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: yellowjacket19

I am a newbie in search of a hummer h3, h3 Alpha or h3T.. I have some questions before I make a decision and need the help of experts. I have been reading many posts, but would like to get soem updated info.

1) In buying a used h3, what problem areas / recalls / design defects bymodel year should I look for? Not really a defect, but you can look at the door controls for window/lock controls since they moved up half way through 2007. No problem areas to avoid.

2) On a pure stock h3, realistically what mpg should a person get ? 15-18 on the inline 5. I got 14.7 driving all city and a lead foot.

3) When taking a VERY BRIEF test drive today, I noticed alot of body roll when I quickly but slightly jerked on the wheel, IS this common?? ANy stability probelms with?? Again this was a very brief test drive. Compared to other SUVs, the H3, I think, has incredible body-tilt control. The wide stance really helps this.

4) what other suggestions can you make on the H3? Buy one, preferably from a good dealer.

5) What is everyones feeling about how the h3t will be priced , comparing that the h3 currently has a $7 to 10 k rebate. Pricing will be LESS than the H3, with the H3T starting at 31,495.

Your honest opinions would be appreciated, and yes, I am not buying it for the mpg.. JUst had a freind claim hers made half of what the sticker said... She has a problem with the truth, so I would rather have your opinions....The only person I've ever seen get anywhere NEAR half of the sticker was Rod Hall and Team HUMMER during a race (go figure)...14-18 will be your accurate mileage depending on your driving habits.

thanks,

Old 08-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Your brother's FJ is a piece of crap.[8D] Note: no us of derogatory use of words refering to Japan, Japanese people, or rice, for those overly sensitive types.

Trucks have "body roll" period, unless you lower them in to a street sweeper. So do vans and minivans now that I think about it. If that is freakin you out??? stick with a car.

The TSB for the head/valve issue was directed toward GM vehicles with the engine assembly date prior to March 31, 2006. The Vin #s effected are in the head and valve issue sticky thread and others. IMO if you are thinking used, the 07 is a better choice because of the 3.7L and +20 HP, but more importantly, better warranty.

Old 08-15-2008, 07:24 PM

The fj is hardly a piece of crap, the american "jap" issue is way over done. In fact, most idiots that argue that point failed to realize their axle most likely says mexico,, your other parts canada. And harley "the most america boasted product ever" boasted a JAP carb for many years. We live in a global market.. no longer based on jap/ us/ them bs. or anyone else.

When you go eat at mcdonalds do you ever ask who owns the franchise and whose pockets you are really lining , or do you just question it when you think you get dog at the chinese buffet? Or when you watch your foreign made tv, do you turn it off in total hate at the inferior foreign product or fail to recognize that there are no tvs made in america just named so.

I buy a product because I like it and have faith in it. I have owned a harley, and I am most likely buying an h3 or h3t.

Nothing is freaking me out. I tested exactly one hummer h3 and it had alot of roll. The fj as well as its own unique handling issues. but I wanted to know if this is common or perhaps a "wrecked/rebuilder"...

AS far as the gas issue , as stated an ex friend claimed she got 1/2 the sticker mpg, but if I soley took her word. I wouldn't even be looking at an h3 anyways.

For my first post I wasn't greeted very nicely by your remark, should I therefore conclude what others have posted about peoples view of hummer owners? OR should I just rub off your abrasive style of writing of someone who doesn't understand how to answer questions, doesn't know zip about global economy, about the manufacturing of goods or to act better than a fourteen year old kid with the ford chevy debate.

I ask you, if the Indian firm buys hummer , are you still going to wave your flag and attack people over a product that CURRENTLY has investors from all over the world, designers from all over the world, buyers from all over the world etc....

buy the way, you might try figuring where your gas came from that powers your "totally" america made product.

I believe I asked technical questions, and opinions from experts- and not to be attacked or confused for someone who doesn't understand the market system. Or how little minds think in little ways.

BY the way superman can kick captain americas a$$ , just like a simple set of technical questions did yours...........

Read your comic books..

Old 08-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Newbie,

Definitely buy a truck with the offroad suspension package, which will also have the Monsoon. Ultimately, that suspension will make the truck so much more versatile. I've worked in sales mgt/finance mgtin a HUMMER dealership since 1/03 and all of the HUMMER products have been very reliable. A number of our customers have experienced the head problem, but I never had a problem in my 06 and drove it to 40K.Now I have an 08 and I do like the window switch repositioning. My experience with mileage is that it's pretty close to the window sticker.The tire pressure monitoring system can be a pain with occasional false Low Tire Pressure warnings, but it's a simple reset.

Also, if you buy used, make sure you buy it from a HUMMER dealer and make sure it is HUMMER Certified. Certificationtakes the$0 deductible, bumper to bumper factory warranty to 6 years from the original inservice date or 100K miles, whichever comes first. Certification costs $1000 and it's worth every
penny.If you buy new, feel free to contact me and I'll do whatever I can to let you know exactly what you should be paying. All I need is the last 8 digits of the VIN and I'll look up the invoice for you.

Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM

You shouldn't be asking strangers on what vehicle to buy, we don't know how you plan on using it. If you need a pickup truck buy the H3T. If your going to go off road and/or tow than buy the Alpha. If you want to go off road sometimes than buy the H3. I had the 06 and I now own the 07 and I like the new window switch placement better on the 07s+.

I average close to 16 mpg and mine is loaded with UBP, skid plates, rock rails, 33" tires, etc.

Old 08-17-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: yellowjacket19

The fj is hardly a piece of crap, the american "jap" issue is way over done. In fact, most idiots that argue that point failed to realize their axle most likely says mexico,, your other parts canada. And harley "the most america boasted product ever" boasted a JAP carb for many years. We live in a global market.. no longer based on jap/ us/ them bs. or anyone else.

When you go eat at mcdonalds do you ever ask who owns the franchise and whose pockets you are really lining , or do you just question it when you think you get dog at the chinese buffet? Or when you watch your foreign made tv, do you turn it off in total hate at the inferior foreign product or fail to recognize that there are no tvs made in america just named so.

I buy a product because I like it and have faith in it. I have owned a harley, and I am most likely buying an h3 or h3t.

Nothing is freaking me out. I tested exactly one hummer h3 and it had alot of roll. The fj as well as its own unique handling issues. but I wanted to know if this is common or perhaps a "wrecked/rebuilder"...

AS far as the gas issue , as stated an ex friend claimed she got 1/2 the sticker mpg, but if I soley took her word. I wouldn't even be looking at an h3 anyways.

For my first post I wasn't greeted very nicely by your remark, should I therefore conclude what others have posted about peoples view of hummer owners? OR should I just rub off your abrasive style of writing of someone who doesn't understand how to answer questions, doesn't know zip about global economy, about the manufacturing of goods or to act better than a fourteen year old kid with the ford chevy debate.

I ask you, if the Indian firm buys hummer , are you still going to wave your flag and attack people over a product that CURRENTLY has investors from all over the world, designers from all over the world, buyers from all over the world etc....

buy the way, you might try figuring where your gas came from that powers your "totally" america made product.

I believe I asked technical questions, and opinions from experts- and not to be attacked or confused for someone who doesn't understand the market system. Or how little minds think in little ways.

BY the way superman can kick captain americas a$$ , just like a simple set of technical questions did yours...........

Read your comic books..
Doooood: you got no sense of humor. Nice third post.
BTW: you got it wrong. I understand the market sytem, pin heads buy what they want without thinking about it. Be american, buy american.

We use these things....[8D] called smilies, so when you got no sense of humor if you were paying attention you can tell if somebody was just razzin ya and having some fun.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:41 PM

Surely you jest..

3,500 posts proves your mouth over runs your ability to think.

Settle down grease head.. A larger combustion chamber doesn't equate to a larger ***** nor I.Q.

Three further points of advice.

1) Never argue with an idiot, they have more experience (about 3,500 posts worth)

2) The smartest mouths come from the dumbest asses.

3) Dumb people talk the most, usually about nothing or endlessly about motorsports, hunting etc.... or answer every post like they are an EXPERT..

Let me guess you were lucky to graduate high school, you dream of the day you can buy spinners for our 4 x4, and you bitch about taxes yet you would be lucky to ever pay enough taxes to pay for the ten foot spot in front of your trailer house, which you tried to impress your fellow burp and fart crowd- last night by firing it up.

I also see you having a cat name fluffy....

I got alot of great answers from others, but if this forum is about being in contactsomeone with the mind of a junior in high school smacking his meat about a "vehicle". well you can have it king grease head.

Bye the way.. King Richard is not the ruler of our country - sorry to break your train of thought....

continue on...post another 3,500 mindless, know it all / know nothing abrasive posts...

Enjoy your pulpit..... YAwn, yawn.

ps- walmart has that Kraco 1000 watt stereo you ordered.. Jc witney your gas magnets... the pawn shop your guns, your wife has your *****, and your boss has your dignity..

Are you sure you have a h3??? You speak like your primary ride is a go kart with a 12 hp motor running on pure nitro I would guess....

Quick Reply: Newbie needing expert answers !!