PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new thread!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by staggs
also keep in mind you should not only monitor the tread/air pressure of your tires but keep an idea of how old they are. Most tire manufacturers recommend not using tires that are more than 5 years old I think. The manufacture date is imprinted in the sidewall. This should be especially relevant if you do strenuous driving or have drastic weather and environment changes, such as sudden temp changes or going from salty roads to sand dry conditions. Probably 99% of the time you will not have an issue, but keep in mind that the older a tire gets the harder the rubber gets and starts cracking, especially on spare tires, there are millions of trucks and SUV's out there that have full size spare tires that I would not want to use for any major driving because their very old tires.
That is correct. You can be a tire salesman! I've been through numerous hours of tire education & seminars over the years.. Gets boring after awhile, but it's part of my trade..

also, people that buy tires, should know the life expectancy of tires (age, not mileage), and check the production date on their new tires. I've seen many new tires that were 2+years old, before being installed, and some rare cases--> 4-5 years old.. Not gonna happen under my watch, but I know many let them go as new.

Main key, is to look for any drycracking on the tire, that's when you know the tire's compound is breaking down=greater chance for failure.

As far as the date code: last 4 digits on the "dot"= week & year of production.

Example below= 51'st week of 2007

Last edited by hummerz; 01-14-2014 at 05:44 PM.