PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New H3 and member

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Default New H3 and member

Hi all, been lurking a little while and decided to post up. Purchased a CPO H3 Lux from my local Hummer dealer. Love it so far. I am concerned about the oil changes however. Its been 8000 miles and the "oil light" has not come on and Hummer Service said give it a little while longer. Just sounds strange to wait so long to change the oil. And, last question..... my truck came with 285 tires, is this some package? Tire decal in the door reads 285 tires also and the speedo is dead on with my GPS.

Already started to change some stuff, Painted the wheels and am blacking out the grill and chrome steps.

Great site for info, going to level the front end once I order new shocks.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:43 PM

I change my oil every 3000 miles, just my personal preference. The oil life indicator takes into account several different things to determine oil life. I don't know if that is high or not.
If you have 285 tires from the factory, it is likely the Adventure PKG. You can do a search on this forum and find everything you need to know. I know you will love your H3.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 PM

If you are really curious about the oil change interval, get your hands on a ScanGuage II (www.scangauge.com) & you can see the oil life as a percentage. Depending on your driving conditions it can be quite long - after all you are using synthetic oil. ScanGuage also gives you some of the trip computer features that GM should have put in the H3.

AFAIK, the 285 tires come with the Adventure package. You will know for sure you have an Adventure if you have the rear differential lock (front and rear diff lock for 2009) button(s).

Old 08-02-2009, 09:49 PM

My hummer dealer and my service booklet in the car's manual says i need to get a servce (change oila nd filter and etc.) every 10000Kms, thats 6000miles. so most likely yours has already been done. check the booklet that comes with the car.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM

For my 2007 H3, the owner's manual says:

"When the CHANGE OIL message in the Driver
Information Center (DIC) comes on, it means that
service is required for your vehicle. See DIC
Warnings and Messages on page 196. Have your
vehicle serviced as soon as possible within the
next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if you
are driving under the best conditions, the engine
oil life system may not indicate that vehicle service
is necessary for over a year. However, your
engine oil and filter must be changed at least
once a year and at this time the system must be
reset."

I'm not seeing any instruction to change oil at 6K miles or any other fixed interval. What I have heard is that the oil life system is a credible guid. Changing oil more frequently of course can't hurt anything but your wallet.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Did a little more exploring, looks like I scored an Adventure Package H3 and didn't know it. The oil change is just bugging me, so I wil change it this weekend now that I found the "how to" section and can reset the computer on my own.

If I level the front (torsion bar lift) do I need new shocks right away or can it wait a week? I was thinking on lifting the front while changing oil this weekend but doubt the shocks will arrive by Friday.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:11 PM

I have driven almost 9000 miles and still have not gotten any light. OnStar Emailed me and told me I have 9% oil life left and that I should service it soon, so I'm going to get an oil change this week. I also have the Luxury package H3.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by bflank
If you are really curious about the oil change interval, get your hands on a ScanGuage II (ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools) & you can see the oil life as a percentage. Depending on your driving conditions it can be quite long - after all you are using synthetic oil. ScanGuage also gives you some of the trip computer features that GM should have put in the H3.

AFAIK, the 285 tires come with the Adventure package. You will know for sure you have an Adventure if you have the rear differential lock (front and rear diff lock for 2009) button(s).
Please post instructions on how you got your Scangauge to read the oil life percentage. You are the first H3 owner that I know who was able to get your SG to read oil life.

Thanks!

Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

This thread is ancient!!!!!!! Necro Bump???

I want to clear up something mentioned in these posts above.

The GM Oil Life Monitor System uses a series of computer algorithms (there are NO sensors). The program is base upon conventional motor oil in all H3s, NOT synthetic. Since the GM OLMS does not know what kind of oil is in the crank case, it is irrelevant what oil you have in the motor as to when the CHG OIL message will display in the DIC. So you can rest assured if you are using synthetic oil, the OLMS change intervals are more than fine.

The change you oil every 3k miles is way, way, I mean way out dated.... but people still do it that way for that warm and fuzzy feeling. That was aimed at RKSmith163

It is like saying storing a car battery on concrete will prematurely discharge the battery. Sure, when batteries were made with tar lined cardboard/wood boxes it might, but that was more than 80 years ago.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-06-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 08H3
Please post instructions on how you got your Scangauge to read the oil life percentage. You are the first H3 owner that I know who was able to get your SG to read oil life.

Thanks!
Now that we have that old stuff cleared up.... https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...bumping-23221/

Quick Reply: New H3 and member