PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need tire pressure help. My first car

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Default Need tire pressure help. My first car

Hey guys I have been here so many times it is impossible to count. But i bought an 06 luxury h3 about 4 months ago. I had to put new tires on and a few other things. It is in extent shape and i even get decent mileage. But the tires i wanted were the e rated and that's what they put on but they damaged the sidewall and i asked for a replacement. They said it was a factory mold issue and gave me a new set but they were c rated and they said i can't put e rated on and be safe. Something to do with it not weighing enough or something. Anyway they had 40psi in them and i wonderred if they had too much so i dropped to 38. Now i wonder if it should be 40+ psi to get decent wear. They are 265/75/16 Goodyear wrangler duratrac. Anyone that could give me some help would be awesome. I put new windshield in and new brakes and ball joints and evap selinoid and tires into it a air filter and couple others. This is my first car ever and i bought the h3 cuz i liked it and the price was right. It is a grey luxury 06 with the chrome and monsoon and leather with sunroof. I like it alot and do the work myself now. Brakes are drilled and good price too.
Thanks guys

Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
Default Dont panic!

You're ok at 38-40. You can look at the sticker when you open the door for the factory advice. I run a little harder out of habit. I'm not a tire expert,you will no doubt get a ton of advice from others,so get ready!

Sounds like you got a real nice one,love that roof window and leather and monsoon. Have fun.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 PM

fwiw- your tire guy is full of shiz. The H3 weighs plenty enough to safely run an E-rated tire.
That being said, C-rated is what the H3 Adventure pkg. came with and will ride much better than an E rated tire.
I run 36psi in my 265's but as a reference they are P metric. The door sticker recommends 30psi.

Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM

you should be running between 32-36psi in a 265/75R16 on an H3. Anything lower than 32psi and your TPMS will be going off every cool morining. Play with the pressure between those two parameters to achieve the ride you want. Higher the pressure the harsher the ride. Lower the pressure the more sidewall flex you will feel. You will find a happy medium it just takes a little time.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:49 AM

Thanks for some quick replies. I kinda figured it was heavy enough to run e rated. This thing weighs about the same as a Nissan titan and they aren't small or light. Everyone keeps saying "it is.made.on the Colorado and canyon platform" . They must think I am an idiot because i know they beefed alot up on our trucks compared to them. Anyway I think it had 32 psi in the tires it had on there before and they were some cheap firestone winterforce and were p rated. When i had the e rated it had 40psi and the Tims only went off a couple times and then stopped. With theses c rated it kinda feels like sidewall flex but i wonder if i have to inflate a bit more because it appears i am getting too much contact with pavement and the tires look kinda like they are wearing on the outside of the tread more than in the middle. I haven't tried the chalk yet but thinking about it. I ont want the tires to have irregular wear but dont want the middle to wear either. I know the placard on the door thing says 30psi but i think ot is for p rated and i don't know what to use. Also my Tpms keep going off. I think.k there was actually 38 in back and 39 in front. But the spare is the original wrangler and has 32-33 in it. I know those treasures are.all over the place and probably why they are going off. So what should i do?
Oh yea and a tick noise coming from what sounds like the exhaust when under stress going up hills and more so when going slowly. Kinda sounds like the exhaust manifold gasket? Or would it be a doughnut or something?
Thanks in Advance guys, you rock.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:29 AM

If your treadwear is on the outsides, you are underinflated. If it is in the middle only, then you are over-inflated. The chalk test can be a good starting point, but keep in mind the tire bulges out in the center tread more at highway running speeds.

Old 08-15-2012, 10:15 AM

Thanks for that. I kinda knew about the tread wear and preasures but didn't think about the highway speeds balloting them up. I usually don't go over 60mph or so. 100kmph i guess I am in Canada. Usually around 90kmph on highway because it gives a little better mileage for gas.
But another good question would be for around home driving which is usually slower, yes I baby it. I would be better off with a little higher preasures bit on the highway driving i should have a little less then. Also how big of a difference does it take to set off Tims? And does the 06 have it n the spare?
And i will put some pics on here sometime.

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 PM

if it has it in the spare, there will be a metal valve stem. if it has a rubber one then no it s=doesn't

Old 08-15-2012, 02:27 PM

I am running Duratrac 285/75R16's happily at 38 psi. Your 265's might vary somewhat.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:09 PM

That's kinda what i figured is it would differ from one to another. It does feel like there is too much flex in the sidewall I think. It feels like it doesn't like to take sharper turns. Like it is even more heavy feeling than usual. the sidewall flex is why i wanted the e rated as well. I think i got ripped.. Gave me the e rated then when needed to replace they gave me a factory mold issue when i know they broke them down and put the grooves in them. Then replaced with c rated when i asked for e and tell me they ordered the c originally and they received wrong one. Not fare. They said that was all i paid for was c. Uhh I could rant on that all day...there is way more too...won't bother. Another thread maybe sometime with pics.
I am thinking of going to maybe 42 or 43 psi for them and see how it works. There are three or more lug sets touching The ground all the Time. About a five inch long patch. That is at the current preasures and it seems to conform to stuff too. The ride is good were it is so i can't see another four or five psi hurting too bad. It just felt like the tread squirmed a bit when they installed them. Hard to find a happy medium i guess. I did a terrible thing too and left the white letters out.. I know.most of you guys hate it but I couldn't help myself to see how it looked.
Thanks again for anything I got so far. I will keep this going hopefully ill someone with the same size and rating duratrac answers. I looked for it everywhere and couldn't find the answer so maybe it will help someone else out.
Oh yea k&n cold air or no. Dealer said the oil would drip and ruin some sensor or something, any insight on that? Wanted to get that and a chip but held off cuz of the dealer info. But then again. They did screw me over.....soooo. .....

Quick Reply: Need tire pressure help. My first car