PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:58 AM
Default Need advice!

2010 Hummer H3 Alpha. Under 35K.

Took it in about a month ago to a local dealer for a simple oil change.

H3 was fine before the service.

When they gave me the truck back, they cited a slew of issues with the H3 from brakes to transmission, etc. I try to have my H3 serviced at a place that was once a Hummer service place (this place near me is not) and have to drive over 100 miles to get to one.

Since I got it back from them, the SERV TPM light has been on, I have put air in the tires, still on. Reading around here that it might be a sensor.

Also, after I got it back from this service place, clunking on the right from tire when making a turn.

Another thing, they said they wanted to flush the transmission because there is something wrong there as well.

H3 is still under warranty. Maybe 15-20 miles put on it a day in the city. I can't help but suspect that this service place is trying to take me. The estimate they gave, again, just going in for an oil change, was over $3500.

The H3 was fully serviced in September 2012 with everything green (brakes, tires, etc.) 6 months later and barely 6K miles and brakes need to be replaced, transmission issues. Again I find them suspect and I would never give them the work, but now I am very concerned about the H3's need for brakes and I can't get to the original dealer for at least another month.

I have never replaced brakes before and wonder if I did, if that would void the warranty. Also, is there a how to, in idiot proof detail somehwere (yes I searched).

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 AM
Default wow

a whole slew of issues, some of which sound like you have legit concerns about.
You shouldn't have any problems with trans or flushing since miles are low. Most issues for H3's don't ever occur before 50k.
I would be worried that they did something to make these things come up. Maybe me being paranoid.
Inconvenient, but harmless to you, they make money by charging GM for all the warranty issues.
The hard part is? can you afford to ignore any of the repairs they suggest.

I have an 08 Alpha, and have had a few fluff warranty items go my way. Haven't complained, primarily because it's new stuff for the H3, regardless if I really needed it. But, nothing so serious as what you have posted.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:29 AM

If you do not work on your Hummer yourself, NEVER bring it to a non-hummer service station.

Were there any engine lights on before you brought it in for the oil change?

Have your brakes been giving you any problems? THey are basically brand new and should go thousands more miles.

Did they cite specifically what is wrong with the transmission? I think everything they told you was B.S. $3,500? for what? You can have your transmission flushed for under $100, you can do brakes for a couple hundred.

If you are still under warranty bring it to the dealer. Sounds like it does have some issues now for some mysterious reason.

Trans doesn't need service til at least 50k miles. I don't have my book on me, and it might even be higher than that. Honestly I would take it in to dealer immediately. Shady places like this are known to screw things up on purpose.

This happened to my sister going in for a routine oil change at one of these places on her subaru outback. $30 oil change turned into them telling her she needed a new air filter...........I just had replaced it the week before. New pcv valve. just replaced. New wipers. replaced. radiator flush. It was just fine. and a few other things I can't remember right now. The estimate was over $1000. Luckily she called me from the garage and told me all of this and asked if she should get it done and the garage was saying it wasn't safe to drive unless she got this stuff done. I told her to drive it home that I had just replaced all that stuff, and put the mechanic on the phone, and I gave him a piece of my mind. It is terrible. They prey on people who they know do not know a thing about vehicles. It's sad and they even use scare tactics like, "It's too dangerous to drive" making you feel that you have to get it done or your car is going to blow up or something. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but the first thing they go on is appearance. If you're a woman they will try to get as much work as they can. If you go in with your hummer in a business suit or dressed like you just came from the polo club they will try to get you. It is sad and should be illegal for them to do this.

My advice is to take it to the Hummer dealer and have them look it all over now. Check the fluids, brakes, everything that place advised.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Step 1) inflate all four tires with a sensor (those should be the 4 on the ground unless you rotated in the unmonitored spare at some point) to exactly 38PSI cold. COLD means the vehicle has sat still for a minimum of 2 hours, 3-4 would be better.

Step 2) avoid that local dealer like a plague, sounds to me you've been spotted as a "mark" with a fat wallet.

Brakes should make it to 50K unless you charge stop signs/lights then stomp on the brakes for every stop. Look at the front pads through the wheel, see how thick/thin they are. Front brakes are a super simple job as are the rears for the 3. The fronts will need replacement a while before the rears. DIY maintenance NEVER voids a warranty. Buy AC Delco pads if you intend to do it and are that concerned, they are inexpensive on line.

If your truck shifts smooth and firm, you do not have a trans issue.

As for your clunk???? got no idea based upon your description, could be many things, simple to a PITA.

Old 04-19-2013, 11:02 AM

The H3 was brought to a GM dealership who really are the worst. I didn't bring it in. It was brought in by my wife.

The H3 showed no signs of issue whatsoever prior to bringing it in and was simply brought in for an oil change. Nothing else.

Soon after the H3 was done, a day or 2 later the tire pressure light came on. Had her call the dealership. They claimed it was a drop in temperature (we are in Los Angeles), but they weren't certain. The issue in the area is all of the Hummer dealerships in the area simply closed up and the GM dealerships that do the service have no Hummer experience whatsoever.

A few weeks later the engine light came on, ran Onstar and they said it was something in the transmission.

I ensure that all service, beyond an oil change is done 110 miles away at what was once a Hummer Dealership and where I bought the H3. As I stated, back in September, I had them do the 30K service (was at maybe 28K) and everything was perfect from brake pads to tire treads, etc. So I was surprised that this dealership, just a few months later and less than 5K had front brake pads in the red area, claiming the transmission needed to be flushed (not covered under warranty) and the rear brakes should be replaced while they were at, costing in excess of $3500. My wife called me, like your sister did, and I told her to get out of there.

I had no knocking noise in the front right tire area before the oil change, now when the wheel is turned you can hear a click. The engine light is on as is the SERV TPM. Trying to at least address one of these issues, the dealership oddly filled the tires to 32psi as opposed to 35psi as was done in the past. Figuring that might solve this SERV TPM filled to 35psi with the result unchanged.

No question they attempted to pressure my wife into leaving the H3 for repair, but my concern is to get this fixed and in order to do so, I don't have any good options that are close to me. I can't get down to the dealership that has been nothing but fantastic until closer to end of next month.

The last thing I plan on doing is rewarding this local dealership with $3500 as I have to say, this appears almost criminal. I could be off base, but it doesn't add up as the H3 is far from abused, serviced more than regularly and something I want to keep for years to come as it can't be replaced.

So, yes, it is under warranty as follows:

50K 4 year bumper to bumper (expires 2014)
100K powertrain expires 2015

Currently around 33K and this dealership is not only looking for warranty money but $3500 on top of it.

Sorry about the venting all, but amazed at how in such a short time (purchased a Hummer H3 in 2006) that I am losing any faith in anything GM.

Just disgusted.
Originally Posted by egroegart
If you do not work on your Hummer yourself, NEVER bring it to a non-hummer service station.

Were there any engine lights on before you brought it in for the oil change?

Have your brakes been giving you any problems? THey are basically brand new and should go thousands more miles.

Did they cite specifically what is wrong with the transmission? I think everything they told you was B.S. $3,500? for what? You can have your transmission flushed for under $100, you can do brakes for a couple hundred.

If you are still under warranty bring it to the dealer. Sounds like it does have some issues now for some mysterious reason.

Trans doesn't need service til at least 50k miles. I don't have my book on me, and it might even be higher than that. Honestly I would take it in to dealer immediately. Shady places like this are known to screw things up on purpose.

This happened to my sister going in for a routine oil change at one of these places on her subaru outback. $30 oil change turned into them telling her she needed a new air filter...........I just had replaced it the week before. New pcv valve. just replaced. New wipers. replaced. radiator flush. It was just fine. and a few other things I can't remember right now. The estimate was over $1000. Luckily she called me from the garage and told me all of this and asked if she should get it done and the garage was saying it wasn't safe to drive unless she got this stuff done. I told her to drive it home that I had just replaced all that stuff, and put the mechanic on the phone, and I gave him a piece of my mind. It is terrible. They prey on people who they know do not know a thing about vehicles. It's sad and they even use scare tactics like, "It's too dangerous to drive" making you feel that you have to get it done or your car is going to blow up or something. I'm not saying you don't know what you are doing, but the first thing they go on is appearance. If you're a woman they will try to get as much work as they can. If you go in with your hummer in a business suit or dressed like you just came from the polo club they will try to get you. It is sad and should be illegal for them to do this.

My advice is to take it to the Hummer dealer and have them look it all over now. Check the fluids, brakes, everything that place advised.

Old 04-19-2013, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by H32006
The H3 was brought to a GM dealership who really are the worst. I didn't bring it in. It was brought in by my wife.
So............ they spotted her as the mark with your fat wallet.

A dealership is only as good as the people that run it and those that work there, some absolutely suck, others are very customer service motivated. Find a different one.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:29 PM

Locally it is not happening.

The H3 will have to wait until I can take it the 110 miles to a place that far from sucks.

In the interim, I'll take a crack at changing the front pads. Anyone care to point me in the direction of an idiot proof (or almost) guide to doing this plus what I need to buy to get the job done?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
So............ they spotted her as the mark with your fat wallet.

A dealership is only as good as the people that run it and those that work there, some absolutely suck, others are very customer service motivated. Find a different one.

Old 04-21-2013, 05:31 PM

do a search. but i believe just take off yer wheel and remove the spring clip thing and pins to take pads out of the caliper, i am unsure if you will need to take caliper off or not. if so pop the top of your brake fluid reservoir before compressing the pistons. i did rotors and pads same time. so dunno bout just pads.

Old 04-21-2013, 06:57 PM

Under 35k, you don't need pads. To make yourself feel better just remove the tire and look at the pads.

The rest of it sounds like the dealer is taking you for some cash. Find a Cadillac dealer in your area and go to them or whatever the old HUMMER dealer turned into.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM

The old Hummer dealership in the area turned into a lumber yard.

With the oil change came a tire rotation, so that might explain the SERV TPM coming on.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by TAINTER
Under 35k, you don't need pads. To make yourself feel better just remove the tire and look at the pads.

The rest of it sounds like the dealer is taking you for some cash. Find a Cadillac dealer in your area and go to them or whatever the old HUMMER dealer turned into.

Quick Reply: Need advice!