PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first hummer.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Default My first hummer.

Name:  GEDC1241.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  78.7 KB
Name:  GEDC1228.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  84.5 KB
Name:  GEDC1227.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  GEDC1224.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  106.8 KB
Name:  GEDC1249.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  111.5 KB

This is the adventure/lux package with 33x12.50r20 nitto mud grapplers with a matching spare and a few other add ons including a viper security system, all the Crome add ons, an aftermarket sound system, aftermarket exhaust system, led tail lights and 20" wheels with wide back spacing

I'm a first time Hummer owner and I'm curious to know how other owners like them. Previous vehicles include a 05 c6 vette, and an ss Silverado so I'm completely new to the off road vehical lifestyle but extremely intrigued.

I have a cousin who is a die hard jeep fan and owns a 1997 wrangler sahara.
All he does is talk **** on my hummers off road capabilities and we haven't even gone out yet.

I just bought this a couple days ago and plan on hitting the trails with my cousin this weekend. I hope I make him feel dumb for talking down on the h3.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:25 AM

Looks good, looking forward to hearing how the 4-wheeling with your jeep friend went

Old 04-29-2012, 06:32 AM
Talking

Outstanding looks great and welcome to HF. If you just wheel and not show-off your 3 will make you proud.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:36 AM

However hitting the trails with 20 inchers is not such a great idea.
Try to find some 16s with some balloon tires. That would be a lot more trail friendly

Oh and remove the side steps when you go wheeling

Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the advise guys. We didn't get to go out this weekend because a massive rockslide took out the local trail so next weekend were heading to the high woods. Lots of rocks and creek crossings. I will definitely take off the side steps and check into some more trail friendly tires and wheels. I'll take some a lot of pics when we go out and follow up. I don't plan on letting that jeep show me up!

One more question. He has his front sway bars disconnected and has 32" tires and a 4" lift. I noticed this makes him be able to negotiate some pretty large rocks without the body rolling. Will this stock h3 adventure come close to flexing as much as his jeep and if not is there any cheap way to make it. He went to the hardware store and jury rigged some simple disconnects. Does independent front suspension even have sway bars?

Sorry I'm very new to all this.
Thanks

Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM

Be careful wheeling "like" a Jeep lol. They wheel alot different than we do with IFS. You have the adventure with a 4:1 transfer case, locker(s) and comes stock with 33's.

If your wheeling in rocks/boulders....I'd be alittle leary with those rims and nerfs man.

Old 04-30-2012, 12:52 AM

If you dont' have UCP, STAY AWAY FROM ROCKS! Unless you have $3000 or more just laying around! Rock Sliders are also a good investment if you plan on wheeling rocks, stumps, etc. Plenty of great info on this site for you to get better aquainted with wheeling your new H3/H3T.

Like the others have stated.
-REMOVE the steps ASAP.
-Don't try to show off, low and slow (very little skinny pedal) is how to wheel and H3/H3T.
-No, your front end will not flex like a solid axle rig. But you have the advantage of a locker and 4:03 to 1 transfercase(Adventure Package). By the way you did not mention what year your H3 is?
- Just because your buddy says to do something, if you do not feel comfortable doing it ....DON'T!
-A lot of the Jeep owners I have wheeled with are "point-and-shoot"(heavy on the gas pedal) kind of guys. If you wheel like that in an IFS rig (doesn't matter what brand) you WILL damage your rig!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 AM

Sweet new ride!

I have had several Jeeps and they are what you make them. Hummers have many mods that you have to get later with a Jeep.

As far as wheeling it. Just remember your wheelbase is almost 20" longer than a TJ's. In tight corners this will hurt you, however, in many situations offroad this will help you!

Again, nice ride and good luck with it!

Old 04-30-2012, 11:29 AM

Welcome to the party. Disconnected sway bars can cause unpredictable instability on the highway...I'd get that front bar connected ASAP and leave it connected. Some guys disconnect the rear for wheeling, but it should reconnected for normal driving. Trial and error is a risky way to learn about suspension mods...especially if its your daily transportation.

Don't be intimidated into breaking your mostly stock truck by hardcore Jeep rockcrawlers who've often spent huge bucks on mods but brag like it was made that way. Unlike a Jeep, the H3 is an excellent, comfortable freeway cruiser AND a great 4x4, but it requires a different driving style on the trail.

Old 04-30-2012, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Get UCP and a set of rock rails, stay way cool on the rock crawling until you have both.

Welcome.