PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MPG results from PCM upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator
Default MPG results from PCM upgrade

I know this is a duplicate post, but I wanted to make sure everybody saw this, so I put it in a difference area. The main upgrade thread is a little big right now

So, here you go:

So, I finally have some gas mileage info for you guys.

I burned almost through my first tank of gas driving normally. I would say 80% city stop-and-go driving and 20% highway driving at about 70 MPH. I filled up at the same pump at the same station on level ground and tipped it off (OH NO I VIOLATED THE WARNING SAYING NOT TO TIP IT OFF!!!!!!) with the engine stopped. I don't know if ANY of that matters, but it's the only thing "I got".

I went 286 miles and I filled up to 18.12 gallons. That comes to roughly 15.8 MPG. I don't know what you guys think about those results, but to me, I think that's not too bad considering most of it was stop and go. Keep in mind also that I did have the car idling for about 20 or 30 minutes also when I was working on it on the weekend, so the MPG may actually be a little higher then that. I would say that is promising. For the most part, I drove the same way I always do. I noticed the needle is not as low as it used to be and doesn't move as quick. The last time I checked I was getting something like 14 MPG in the same driving situations.

I don't know what my highway MPG is yet because I haven't done much straight highway driving. I can tell you that after I get past 65 MPH I notice the mileage drops, so I try not to go over 70 most of the time, which is VERY hard for me since I'm a fast driver

What I'm going to try to do is fill up tomorrow morning early and try to beat the morning rush hour and leave late and also try to beat rush hour, so I'll see what my mileage is driving between 65 and 70 non-stop for about 25 miles to and from work. I'll see what kind of mileage I get. So far, I think i'm doing well. Alvin said it will get better and probably take a few weeks to reach optimal performance as far as the MPGs go. I'll post my results by Friday and let you guys know when I successfully drive all highway speeds on a day.

Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM
Default RE: MPG results from PCM upgrade

Okay, Okay, okay, we got the picture for crying out loud[sm=shutup.gif]

Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dennis

SOME people like detailed information when spending money on their cars, but for those billionaires like you, I know it's no big deal

YES I KNOW YOU ARE JUST KIDDING and NO I'M NOT DENSE

Old 10-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Cool! Keep us updated.

Old 10-24-2006, 05:33 PM

Thank you for keeping us informed but for god's sake, can David Hasselhoff and Little Richard take a hike?

Old 10-24-2006, 06:34 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

ORIGINAL: Dennis

YES I KNOW YOU ARE JUST KIDDING and NO I'M NOT DENSE
Of course I'm kidding..you'll know when I'm serious, I won't be kidding[sm=smiley29.gif]

Anyway, nice report and the whole saga has been educational...[sm=smiley23.gif]

Old 10-24-2006, 07:22 PM

This sounds interesting and would like to have mine done too. The only thing is that I plan on installing a Borla exhaust system next Spring and would want it tuned after that.

I installed a K&N air filter and was thinking about a Volant closed box intake along with the Borla but undecided about it. I had a K&N cold air intake on my last vehicle, a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew-cab and picked up about 20 to 40 or 45 miles per tankful just by doing that but the sucking noise was a pain.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

This sounds interesting and would like to have mine done too. The only thing is that I plan on installing a Borla exhaust system next Spring and would want it tuned after that.

I installed a K&N air filter and was thinking about a Volant closed box intake along with the Borla but undecided about it. I had a K&N cold air intake on my last vehicle, a 2000 Nissan Frontier Crew-cab and picked up about 20 to 40 or 45 miles per tankful just by doing that but the sucking noise was a pain.
That's EXACTLY why I decided not to go with the CAI kit or the dual exhaust. I THINK I'll be driving alot when I move and as much as I love the sounds, I think driving 100 miles a day with that rumbling may drive me a little wacky, not to say that I already am not wacky you just have to decide what you want. I'll tell you this though; the engine is going to be alot quieter after the tune. You can barely hear mine. It's pretty awsome to be on the highway at 70+ and only hear the wind and tires.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: H3_Hummer

Talk to Alvin and see what he recommends. It may not be an issue if you get the tuning now.

Old 10-25-2006, 03:57 AM

Alot of times if we know the customer is going to install a intake or catbakc in the near future we can go ahead and set the PCM's up for those modifications. The truck will be just a slight bit out of optimal until you get those parts installed but it is by no means bad. Hell if it was everyones truck would run bad with the addition of these same parts on the factory tune.

Give us a call, let us know what you want to do. I promise you won't be let down. The tune makes a bigger difference than the intake and catback put together

Quick Reply: MPG results from PCM upgrade