PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

the mini bus is in the shop

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 01:44 AM
Default the mini bus is in the shop

finally got around to bringing the h3 in to get the headlights fixed and to have the MPG problems checked out. I think it knew cause she stalled on my way down there, there was a bad accident on the parkway so I went up the curb and through a wooded section of median to get across to the express lanes and she stalled when I climbed over a downed tree. Funny thing is they put the tree there to keep cars from crossing the trail in the median.....guess it's not hummer proof

So the dealer gave me a hard time about my intake, claiming that it could cause the warrenty to be void....BS. Wheres that link to the law that protects us from this? Someone posted it before...Dennis?

They also claimed my mileage was due to running 35's...umm.....I got 8.7 mpg on the 69 mile drive down to the dealership...don't think thats because of the tires.

Finally...I miss my h3 but man let me tell ya....I got a 2007 Cadillac cts as a loaner and WOW..this thing is sweet!!! only 1400 miles on it and it's fully loaded..... I told the service manager to take his time

BTW, did anyone else have to pay anything for their loaner? I have to pay $5.95 a day. Don't make sence to me[&:]

Old 11-16-2006, 01:51 AM
Default RE: the mini bus is in the shop

Hi Mike..

Briefly this is what you need to copy and hand to your dealer....

[b]
Can an automotive dealership void your warranty?

Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975.

Nearly everyone has heard about someone who has taken a vehicle that has been modified with aftermarket parts to a dealer for warranty service, only to have the dealer refuse to cover the defective items. The dealer usually states that because of the aftermarket parts the warranty is void, without even attempting to determine whether the aftermarket part caused the problem.

This is illegal.

Vehicle manufacturers are not allowed to void the vehicle warranty just because aftermarket parts are on the vehicle. To better understand this problem it is best to know the differences between the two types of new car warranties and the two types of emission warranties.

When a vehicle is purchased new and the owner is protected against the faults that may occur by an expressed warranty - an offer by the manufacturer to assume the responsibility for problems with predetermined parts during a stated period of time. Beyond the expressed warranty, the vehicle manufacturer is often held responsible for further implied warranties. These state that a manufactured product should meet certain standards. However, in both cases, the mere presence of aftermarket parts doesn't void the warranty.

There are also two emission warranties (defect and performance) required under the clean air act. The defect warranty requires the manufacturer to produce a vehicle which, at the time of sale, is free of defects that would cause it to not meet the required emission levels for it's useful life as defined in the law. The performance warranty implies a vehicle must maintain certain levels of emission performance over it's useful life. If the vehicle fails to meet the performance warranty requirements, the manufacturer must make repairs at no cost to the owner, even if an aftermarket part is directly responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer cannot void the performance warranty. This protection is the result of a parts self - certification program developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA).

In cases where such a failed aftermarket part is responsible for a warranty claim, the vehicle manufacturer must arrange a settlement with the consumer, but by law the new - vehicle warranty is not voided.

Overall, the laws governing warranties are very clear. The only time a new vehicle warranty can be voided is if an aftermarket part has been installed and it can be proven that it is responsible for an emission warranty claim. However, a vehicle manufacturer or dealership cannot void a warranty simply because an an aftermarket equipment has been installed on a vehicle.

If a dealership denies a warranty claim and you think the claim falls under the rules explained above concerning the clean air act (such as an emission part failure), obtain a written explanation of the dealers refusal. Then follow the steps outlined in the owners manual. However, if this fails, then phone your complaint in to the EPA at (202) 233-9040 or (202) 326-9100.

If a dealer denies a warranty claim involving an implied or expressed new car warranty and you would like help, you can contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). The FTC works for the consumer to prevent fraudulent, deceptive and unfair business practices in the marketplace and to provide information to help consumers spot, stop and avoid them. To file a complaint, you can call toll-free, 1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357), or use the online complaint form. The FTC enters Internet, telemarketing, and other fraud-related complaints into Consumer Sentinel, a secure, online database available to hundreds of civil and criminal law enforcement agencies worldwide.

WHAT IS THE MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT?

Old 11-16-2006, 01:56 AM

Awesome.....You are my hero...once again

how about the last part of my post? Is it normal to have to pay $5.95 a day for a loaner?

Old 11-16-2006, 02:02 AM

Not normal in my neck of the woods..GM is suppose to support a loaner while your HUMMER is in for warranty work and any repairs while you're under warranty..Time for a new dealer IMO.

Old 11-16-2006, 03:18 AM

thats what I thought also, they caught me by total surprise. I had to give them a credit card to put a $50 deposit on the car and for them to take the $5.95 a day fee. Problem is I don't have a credit card so I was an hour and a half away from home and basically screwed, luckily they were able to take my debit card so I wasn't stuck with no way home. It was weird, right next to the service counter there was another counter with an enterprise sign, the service writer took my keys and I signed the papers then he gave me slip and told me to give it to the enterprise guy, he gave me the loaner and told me of the fees. I think I'll call GM to see whats up. I worked at a gm dealer and we never had anything like that for loaners, our loaners were owned by the dealership and given out as loaner cars, not rented by a rental car agency. very odd.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:33 AM

My dealer uses Enterprise and I have had three diff rentals from them. One of them I had for 2 & 1/2 weeks.
Never had to pay anything.

Old 11-16-2006, 08:51 AM

Never had to use it on the H3, but our Rx8 has been into the shop several time and we've had loaners.. (VW Jetta, but I was pushing for the Lotus Elise..No go).. No charges anytime...

Could be the extra was because it was an upgrade truck.. The Caddy costs more to rent than the Hummers at the local Enterprise places around here.. But you can get a Prowler for less than the H3.. Go figure... They may have not had an H3 in stock to rent right then so they went with the next best thing rather than the next down.. Prolly a 2wd Jeep Compass..

Rob

Old 11-16-2006, 10:15 AM

you agreed to pay the insurance you should of said no your insurance covers it i never get it that will add up.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:17 AM

Oh yea they are very nice cars that what i get except for the last time i got the big *** one.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:29 PM

Mark, it's not the insurance. I did not get the added insurance, if I did that was another $9.99 a day.

Quick Reply: the mini bus is in the shop