PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Manual Transmission Shift Issue?

Old 12-04-2007, 02:55 PM
Default Manual Transmission Shift Issue?

My transmission (5-Speed Manual) has developed an annoying little habit of not going into first gear from neutral with the clutch out (foot not on it). So when I’m sitting at a red light with the truck not in gear and my foot off the clutch and the light turns green I cannot immediately shift into first [after pushing the clutch in]. I basically have to [push the clutch in and then] go to second then [while still holding the clutch in go] up to first. This used to be occasional but is not happening every time. Also second is now fighting me from time to time. If I leave my foot on the clutch [when in nuetral at the light (for example)] it’s no problem, but it can get tiring in the city or traffic to drive that way. I’ve got the truck going to the shop for a couple of things but I wanted to get some input from you all before I get the line from the dealer. I searched around but didn’t see anything similar. Anyone heard of this?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Manual Transmission Shift Issue?

It seems to me I must be misunderstanding your question. Are you asking why you can't get into first gear with your foot off the clutch and the engine running???? Nah......You must be saying when you have been idling in neutral, clutch released, then the light turns green so you push in the clutch and it now does not want to go into first???Maybe a review of the manual may help some, they put em in the glove box right from the factory.
Here is how to operate your manual transmission:
FIRST (1):
Press the clutch pedal and shift into
FIRST (1). Then, slowly let up on the clutch pedal as
you slowly press down on the accelerator pedal.
You can shift into FIRST (1) when you are going less
than 20 mph (30 km/h). If you have come to a complete
stop and it is hard to shift into FIRST (1), put the shift
lever in NEUTRAL and let up on the clutch. Then press
the clutch pedal back down and shift into FIRST (1).

Still a problem?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the helpful outline [&:]. This is the step that is giving me a problem:
[align=left]
FIRST (1):
Press the clutch pedal and shift into[/align]FIRST (1).

I press the clutch and try to shift into first, something is blocking it. I'm thinking that there is an issue with the syncros.

If you have come to a complete[align=left]stop and it is hard to shift into FIRST (1), put the shift[/align][align=left]lever in NEUTRAL and let up on the clutch. Then press[/align]the clutch pedal back down and shift into FIRST (1).

That will cause me to sit all day, if I put the shifter in neutral and hold in the clutch for 20-30 seconds it will go into gear. If I let up the clutch and push it back down I will still not be able to go into first (basicall will reset that 20-30 second clock).

Old 12-04-2007, 06:10 PM

I think Doc's right. Pushing in on the clutch, letting up half way, and then back down should help get you into gear easier. If not,maybe that has something to do with your engine noise?

Old 12-04-2007, 10:52 PM

Just ran out and tried to duplicate your problem with the 5-speed in my 07.Goes right back into 1st like it's supposed to. However, I sometimes get a bit of a grind going from 2nd to 3rd, but I think that my shifting

Old 12-05-2007, 02:12 AM

I've noticed it a time or two not wanting to slide in to 1st, but it only takes a quick double clutch to get it to go in.

I'm not sure which of my vehicle got me in this habit, but I almost always go from 2nd to 1st. If it's happening more often, there is a good chance the synchronizer is going out. My wife had a Mustang with a T56 that I had to have the 1st gear synchronizer replaced a couple times.

Old 12-05-2007, 08:09 AM

Mine used to slip right in, now 100% of the time if I push the clutch and try to shift to 1st it feels locked out. I normally double clutch, but that doesnt help this issue. I not a slouch with manual transmissions in general. I have been double clutch heal toe shifting my mr2 when racing without any problems.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:16 AM

Your syncros are wearing . . . this is normal. You will find that with just about any manual tranny that going into second gear first will help allign the gears and make it easier to put into first gear.

I learned to drive on a non-syncro tranny, this is a habit for me. I also used to own an old MG which had no syncro on first and required it to be put in second gear first.

Also remember, you are driving a truck, not a sports car. The gears are much bigger and heavier, requiring a little more patience to get them to mesh. Take your time shifting. Your tranny will give you many more miles of use.

Old 12-05-2007, 10:35 AM

If you ask my wife I drive everything like a sports car.

Old 12-06-2007, 09:43 AM

I had an old Porsche that would not go into 1st easily so I am used to throwing it in second and then first if I wanted first gear off the line.

I wish the H3's transmission was as smooth as new BMWs... [:-]

heh

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual Transmission Shift Issue?