PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintanance

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Default Maintanance

Just hitting the 25K mark and my car so far has pretty much run on oil changed and regular maintanace that comes with it. I would like to do some kind of extra work now that I have had it almost 4 years and done really nothing except for replacing the air filter with a green filter recently. Is there anything I can do on my own ? I rather do as much as possible on my own before taking it to a dealer or a shop. Do you guys suggest any engine flushes, spark plugs and cables, etc ?

Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Cool

Sorry no one has responded to you. If your question was about how to make your mall rig look "tactical" or what color you should get, then this is a good site. But, maintenance questions are a little out of place. Anyway, you may want to replace your differential fluids even though the manual says 50K. I changed mine at 50K and it was pretty nasty; same goes for the transfer case oil.

Old 06-11-2009, 11:36 AM

Plus some are lazy when it comes to maintenance too. I'm at 65K and haven't changed drivelive fluids yet. In a few weeks, I'm going to replace everything with Royal Purple products to see if the claims are true.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by outnabout
Sorry no one has responded to you. If your question was about how to make your mall rig look "tactical" or what color you should get, then this is a good site. But, maintenance questions are a little out of place. Anyway, you may want to replace your differential fluids even though the manual says 50K. I changed mine at 50K and it was pretty nasty; same goes for the transfer case oil.
WOW, ok, im new to hummer, Got an H3, along with 3 jeeps, and a Custom Rail Buggy. So Like most jeepers we do all our own mods, maintaince, work, design, ect... and then test them hard!. So where would one might go to find information for the ppl that use and test the limmits of thier on hummer and do thier own work. In short a cars guy web forum on hummers.

thanks Kingz.

as for NJTEX, I run Royal Purple in most of my rigs for Engine oil to Diff Fluids, at 65K you are almost at the limmit I would start using it, if you never used it before. the reason why is the molecule size is much smaller then standard, and over time with standard fluid you could have extra wear and tear that still so small that the standard fluid will not make it past, but royal purple could. so it may start to leak, this is not as bad as a problem in Diff as in engine oil at the rear main seal or rings. I usualy wont start putting in royal purple in the engine if i never used before and the auto has over 55K miles on it.. there is only a small change it will start leaking, but once you start royal purple I suggest you never put something else in it. but thats my opion, by all means do as you please.

Last edited by KINGZ; 06-11-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM

Thanks, could you by any chance suggest where I could look to find the answers? I can by all means do most of this work myself, although, I am not very car technical meaning I just need a little direction. I am not even sure what differential fluids are :/ I guess I could find it in the manual ?

Old 06-15-2009, 11:32 AM

I took my 06 in for an oil change last week and i'm at 32k miles. Beyond the oil change he said I was due at 25k for a front diff service ($99), change air filter (it was still very clean), alignment and wheel balance.

I didn't want to mess with the front diff so I went for that, especially after seeing how easily they get trashed and the state of GM right now... if something were to happen I didn't want to get denied a repair. I'm also doing the front leveling and shocks and will be getting new tires soon so I declined those too. Other than that they did a 25 point inspection and all was good.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Raffi76
Thanks, could you by any chance suggest where I could look to find the answers? I can by all means do most of this work myself, although, I am not very car technical meaning I just need a little direction. I am not even sure what differential fluids are :/ I guess I could find it in the manual ?
You can use any fully synthetic 75W90 gear oil. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential and the fill plug on the face. Open the fill plug first, then place your catch pan under the drain plug and using your ratchet (no socket needed, just a 3/8" square ratchet) unscrew the drain plug and let it drain. The drain plug end is magnetic and should be cleaned off. After all the oil has drained, replace the plug and tighten to (don't remember torque spec.). You'll need a pump to get the new fluid in. A pump can be purchased at an auto parts store that screws onto the oil container. Pump in the fluid through the fill hole until it just starts running out of the hole and replace the fill plug, wipe up your messes and your done. It takes about 1 3/4 quarts of oil. I used Mobil 1, but there are several good quality oils available.

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 PM

You can use any fully synthetic 75W90 gear oil. There is a drain plug at the bottom of the differential and the fill plug on the face. Open the fill plug first, then place your catch pan under the drain plug and using your ratchet (no socket needed, just a 3/8" square ratchet) unscrew the drain plug and let it drain. The drain plug end is magnetic and should be cleaned off. After all the oil has drained, replace the plug and tighten to (don't remember torque spec.). You'll need a pump to get the new fluid in. A pump can be purchased at an auto parts store that screws onto the oil container. Pump in the fluid through the fill hole until it just starts running out of the hole and replace the fill plug, wipe up your messes and your done. It takes about 1 3/4 quarts of oil. I used Mobil 1, but there are several good quality oils available.
Hmm Once I am done with purchasing all the needed equipment and oils I think it might just make more sense to go and get it done at the dealer especially as with the other poster I am not sure If I want to mess with anything I dont know about ? But thanks for taking the time to explain, if I can find this differential thingy ur talking about I might just go for it after all..... by the way I dont own my house so this easy enough to do on a street ? or do I need to take off any plates etc.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:04 AM

DIY (do it yourself) is not for everyone and if you don't know what a differential is, then you may want to consult a mechanic.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:59 AM

Hello Raffi76,
you'll not have to remove anything at the rear-diff.
To change the oil of the front-diff, you'll have to remove the front skidplates under the engine. The drain of the front-diff is very easy, only the refill is a little tricky without a little pump or a hose, you put in the diff and let it run up to the radiator to fill the fluid in.
BTW: with the skidplates off you can change the motoroil / Filter, because you have to remove the skidplates for this too.

Greets,

Jens