PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT vs. P rated tires on H3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:21 PM
Default RE: LT vs. P rated tires on H3?

Machines -

I have LT305/55/20's. I did raise the front end with a Readylift kit, but I think everyone is in agreement that you can raise the torsion bars and get away doing the Readylift.

Mine is a 07 Lux package. Couldn't even tell what the tires were on it before besides they were Bridgestones. I only put abut 200 miles on them before I swapped them out. And that was the drive home from the dealer.

And from my tire selling days - I used to work for Goodyear many years ago. The "P" stood for "Passenger Tire" and "LT" stands for "Light Truck".

I wouldn't get hung up on the P or LT as long as you go with the LT. Don't know why they would put a passenger tire on the H3 to begin with.

pgaduane

Old 10-16-2007, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the quick reply, gotta love the board.

"I did raise the front end with a Readylift kit, but I think everyone is in agreement that you can raise the torsion bars and get away doing the Readylift." If I don't do the Readylift kit or torsion bars will the wheels rub? I know they are only 35" in height and from what I read, anything under 35" is okay.
P.S. Have an appointment at 9:00AM tomorrow in West Palm Beach to have the H3 modified....will post pics following

Later,
Machines

Old 10-16-2007, 07:19 PM

Machines -

The 305's are 33" tall not 35". They say (tire manf) that you would have to go to a 50 series for the tires to fit, but I think they are just covering their a$$ by saying that. I have read on this forum by many that 35's will fit without doing a thing. So I think you'll be ok with the 33's.

pgaduane

Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 PM

This may not have been directed towards me, but i think you should go w/ a lift,esp. ifyou plan to offroad. My tires don't rub (315/70R17 on 17x8) but i have the truxxx lift. It makes a HUGE difference. My H3 looks much much bigger than it did before, and i only upgraded from the original 33's to 35's.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: f5fstop

ORIGINAL: mh307

P tires come on the h3, i believe the biggest difference is in the weight rating, i think they should look exactly the same. I just took off my factory Ptires for LT BFGoodrich A/T's and they seem to ride a tad rougher, but that could be the size difference. I love 'em though, they're an awesome awesome tire....
My bridgestones are labeled LT285/75R16 so the statement that"P tires come on the h3" may only be correct for the Goodyear Wrangler Tires that come on the base vehicle without the off-road suspension.
Thanks for the heads up. I had bridgestones, but was reading so many tires lately (mine, my moms, my dads, my friends,several sets at thedealer)i probably got them mixed up.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:49 PM

I put the LT BF Goodrich 285/75/16 TA/KOon mine a few weeks ago great tire heres the link: http://www.discounttire.com/BFGAllTerrainTAKO.pdf

Old 10-16-2007, 08:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SteveO

I put the LT BF Goodrich 285/75/16 TA/KOon mine a few weeks ago great tire heres the link: http://www.discounttire.com/BFGAllTerrainTAKO.pdf
Great tire, you cannot go wrong here!!

Old 10-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: mh307

This may not have been directed towards me, but i think you should go w/ a lift,esp. ifyou plan to offroad. My tires don't rub (315/70R17 on 17x8) but i have the truxxx lift. It makes a HUGE difference. My H3 looks much much bigger than it did before, and i only upgraded from the original 33's to 35's.

The truxx/ready lift/sandy river enterprises are not really a lift kit, just a reindexed torsion bar key, but you may also get a shock mount extender with the kit depending on the mfg.
The FAQ post by Ockie sums it up nicely RE: Front Leveling & 35" Tire FAQ

Old 10-16-2007, 09:44 PM

True, sorry for that, i find myself saying lift however, for the simple fact it does raise the front of the vehicle...and everyone kind of looks at me weird when itell them"i keyed my hummer"....

Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Very good point. To key or not to key, that is the question.

I would not tell the wife you keyed the Hummer!

Quick Reply: LT vs. P rated tires on H3?