PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

LS2 conversion...First impressions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Default LS2 conversion...First impressions

I'm fairly new here, having last posted last year. Just wanted to share my H3 Adventure Package with an LS2 conversion. I love what it can do, but I had the same lack of power complaints as everyone else. Actually, I think the 3.5 is pretty impressive for its size, and gets great on gas. I've been hotrodding since I was 14. I looked at several options. I didn't think the stock engine could do well with more than 6 psi, so I passed on forced induction, even though I had even fabricated a turbo manifold and purchased a turbo for a mockup. I wanted to do it the right way and put in a V8. Then the Alpha came out, but I passed as it only made 70 more HP than the stock 3.5. My test drive confirmed that it wouln't quite do it. Since my hobby is puttin LS motors in small Japanese cars (LS7 in a 93 RX7 and also a Datsun 280Z getting a 427 LS motor with forced induction), I decided to go in that direction. I got a smoking deal on an LS2 crate motor and the wheels started turning. I bought a heavy duty 4L65E from Monster Transmission, and a custom harness. I got too busy at work though, and I farmed it out.

Now, I don't knowendorsement rules here, so I will just say that I sent it to a certain Hummer Wizard in Wichita. He's better known for H2 turbodiesel swaps, and he's developed a great business taking the left over 6.0 motors and putting them in H3's. This is the first time he's done an LS2, and I put him through the wringer. He did an AWESOME job. He is the best auto guy I have ever dealt with. He's very polite and communicative, unlike the normal monosyllabic auto tech. In fact, he is primarily a caterer!!!!

This is what it looks like:

How does it run? Pretty much like a 4900 pound Corvette!!! Very fast for a truck, but you know it is a truck. I live in Denver and I took it up on a trip to Vail yesterday. Before, I would struggle going up I70 from about 5300 to 9000 ft elevation over about 100 miles. No problem now. I love it, and I still get around 15 mpg around town, 18 on the highway.

I just can't say enough good things about Mike. He's awesome and if you want a 6.0 swap or LS2 (I still maintain that the 5.3 in the Alpha was not enough), don't go anywhere else!!!!

Old 09-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: LS2 conversion...First impressions

That's a really sweet transplant job. Does it use the factory manifolds? Since you're into F/I, now you have a lot more options, but the Maggie should just bolt on like it does with the 5.3L. I loved my Procharged Z06. Is there enough room at the front of the engine for a centri (can't tell from the pics)?

Old 09-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Chimazo,

Thanks for the interest. The original manifolds didn't fit with the engine mounts that were used (really nice mounts made by Current Performance, known for the Chevy Colorado swap hardware and harnesses). Mike usually use his own custom mounts for the 6.0 conversions. I think some truck manifolds were used.

As for forced induction, Mike made a half serious reference to it during the build and I thought, "what, are you kidding". Now after driving the 5000 pound "Vette with a H3 body on top" as I jokingly refer to it, I could actually invision forced induction. We had to mix and match some accessories (though most of them are from the Trailblazer SS I think). That left no room for the clutch fan. That meant electric fans, so if I ever have to cross a river more than 30 inches deep, I'm hosed. You couldn't do a Procharger. There's at least a foot of hood clearance for a twin screw though. The Kenne Bell twin screw would look great in the engine bay. Another option in the future (hopefully) is the LS9 unit on the new Vette. It's not for sale separately but it looks to be even sweeter (GM...are you listening...please, please).

By the way, it looks like you have far too many cars, just like I do. I just picked up a cheapo Miata to save gas. It has a turbo, so I only get 25 mpg. I promised myself I wouldn't do anything to it cause it's only a commuter. I'm trying to do all I can to not put an LS2 into it . Who knows though, if the 1.6 blows up (it does have 135K miles)......HaHa. Y'know, if a Vette gets 25 mpg, I'm sure an LS2 Miata would get the same.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:47 PM

WOW.......

Old 09-30-2008, 06:07 PM

SB, thanks for the info! Yeah, my wife still gives me a little grief for us getting the H3, but at $10K off the sticker, it was too good a deal to pass up, especially when my DD Caprice has 102k miles on it (although there are plenty out there with twice the mileage!).

I think if I ever did a swap like yours, I'd end up lowering it, trying to make it "handle," and basically turning into a "H3 SS." Of course, then asupercharger would be mandatory, although there's plenty of room underneath for a STS turbo set-up! I'm sure you know that you can easily get 500-550rwhp from your LS2 with F/I. Now THAT would be a sleeper...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:07 PM

"HMMR SS" is actually going to be my vanity plate. I thought about "Hummvette" but it's too long and too hard to say.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:09 PM

Nice!

Would the swap have been easier on an Alpha since it allready had a V8?

How is holding up?

Old 10-01-2008, 08:18 PM

It makes no difference whether it's an Alpha or not. On second thought,since the engine's areidentical from the outside,you would just have to switch over the accessories and reprogram the computer for the greater displacement (.9 liters greater!). But why would you.If mine were an Alpha, I would have just added a Kenne Bell. The oilpan from the Alpha was used for clearance of the front diff. That's about it. As for the front diff, it's pretty much the same. I heard the alpha differential was supposed to be stronger, but I actually found out that the only difference is that they used a cast iron housing rather than replacing the unit withstronger ringgears.There are some differences in the front differential in terms of shock valving and spring rates (and I think sway bar thickness) which I may address. Let's face it though, handling is not a strong suit. I view this as a Trailblazer SS (same engine) only it can actually do stuff offroad. It's just doing great!

Old 10-20-2008, 02:42 AM

You took my idea. My buddy has a 02 ls1 out of a trans am with 28K miles that I want to swap in as well. I think this is how it should of been for the alpha.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:39 AM

great article. Sir can you advise the cost of a conversion on an H3 , and what H/P can u expect with 87octane fuel

Quick Reply: LS2 conversion...First impressions