PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Low Tire light on!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 06:07 AM

If you off road much and drop your tire pressure for climbing, that light can get to be a pain in the @#!. With all the system checks Hummer stuck on the truck that are beneficial, this one they could have left off! I mean, its pretty obvious when a tire needs air by looking at it in most cases. Its always a good thing to make a habit of checking air pressure, oil, and tranny levels every time you fill up the tank. Or at least once a month!

Old 03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
Default Check again, Raffi76

Originally Posted by Raffi76
the rear tire is not monitored, thats why you dont get them.
Maybe they were different in 06 but on my 07 there IS a tire monitor on the spare
(see attached photo)
And the door jamb tag states it should be a 50 PSI

Last edited by wfturner; 06-07-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:59 AM

I agree, my 06 manual says the same thing. When I first got my 06, the warning was on, until I checked and inflated all 5 to stated PSI. It sounds to me like the TPMS are working properly. In cold conditions, PSI can vary greatly.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by francisc006
dealer should reset that tire light for you free of charge.. nitrogen in your tires will also help as it doesnt change psi in different weather temperatures
Are you saying that nitrogen somehow is immune from the gas law? When I studied physics pv=t for any ideal gas - of which N2 is one. That means the change in pressure is directly proportional to the change in temperature, doesn't matter which gas you use. Nope - total hogwash.

Anyhow the air in your tires is already 79% nitrogen. You could even fill your tires with helium and the pressure would vary just the same with temperature - of course it would leak out pretty darn quickly on accounta them little molecules.

Near as I can tell the benefits of nitrogen are:
1. a reduced leakage rate - documented but minimal impact if you regularly check tire pressure.
2. reduced tire degradation due to oxidation - personally I wear the tread out before the tires have a chance to significantly oxidize from the inside.

IMHO the real benefit of nitrogen tire fills is to the bottom line of the person selling the service.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yuflesh
that is very interesting. Are you guys saying that door sticker is not to be followed.

On my 06 (stock tires) it says 30 psi for all tires with exception of spare at 35.....

Should I be putting more pressure into them. I do think they "sag" a bit at 30, but I was just following instructions.

Who manufactured your tires? Not GM. Read the tire inflation info and follow it. You can inflate them to 50PSI max. 30 is too low, 35 puts you at the edge of the TPMS alarm.

38 works great. If I go on a trip, I'll fill them to 40 PSI cold for the mileage, sure you feel more of the road, but your mpg gos up.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wfturner
Maybe they were different in 06 but on my 07 there IS a tire monitor on the spare
(see attached photo)
And the door jamb tag states it should be a 50 PSI
Your spare has a TPMS..............but it is not monitored. H3s can only monitor FOUR tires. Hence... like I said, not in the loop. If you put the spare on the truck because of a flat, you have to program it in if if you want the TPMS to stop showing the warning at the dash....(from the flat). The manual covers how to program your tires when you rotate them etc...

I found out is the last step of the programming for the TPMS in the manual is WRONG, as is the need to program location. The H3 does not recognize a change in position, so you can rotate and not reprogram, unless you are bringing in the spare when rotating.

The whole thing is a PITA. I guess drivers are now morons and need some electronic gizmo to tell them when a tire is going down instead of using your eyeballs everytime you get in to drive???

Old 03-13-2009, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Your spare has a TPMS..............but it is not monitored. H3s can only monitor FOUR tires. Hence... like I said, not in the loop. If you put the spare on the truck because of a flat, you have to program it in if if you want the TPMS to stop showing the warning at the dash....(from the flat). The manual covers how to program your tires when you rotate them etc...

I found out is the last step of the programming for the TPMS in the manual is WRONG, as is the need to program location. The H3 does not recognize a change in position, so you can rotate and not reprogram, unless you are bringing in the spare when rotating.

The whole thing is a PITA. I guess drivers are now morons and need some electronic gizmo to tell them when a tire is going down instead of using your eyeballs everytime you get in to drive???
How would the truck know which tires are on the ground and which is the spare, if the spare tire has the TPMS, like all the others, but as you say doesn't monitor it because it is the spare tire.
Can you explain this further?
The dealer tells me that all tires are monitored and that is why you must keep the spare tire filled up, so as to not cause the low tire warning.
The dealer also stated that when you get a flat and need the spare, the flat tire, will now trigger the low tire warning. He claims you just push the dash buottom to defeat the warning and go get the spare tire repaired

Old 03-13-2009, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Doc Olds
Who manufactured your tires? Not GM. Read the tire inflation info and follow it. You can inflate them to 50PSI max. 30 is too low, 35 puts you at the edge of the TPMS alarm.

38 works great. If I go on a trip, I'll fill them to 40 PSI cold for the mileage, sure you feel more of the road, but your mpg gos up.
You sure on that? I took some pictures, and it says 30 on the door (35 for spare).

See images that I attached. Those are from the H3 (by the door)

Tires are Good Year Wrangler GT/S. I was told when I bought it they are original tires. Size matches, not sure about make.

Max inflation on the tires says 44 psi.

Suggestions? Should I still go to 38 or 40 (I inflated all of them to 35).

Marko

Attached Thumbnails Low Tire light on!-img00089-20090313-1944.jpg   Low Tire light on!-img00091-20090313-1945.jpg  
Old 03-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by wfturner
How would the truck know which tires are on the ground and which is the spare, if the spare tire has the TPMS, like all the others, but as you say doesn't monitor it because it is the spare tire.
Can you explain this further?
The dealer tells me that all tires are monitored and that is why you must keep the spare tire filled up, so as to not cause the low tire warning.
The dealer also stated that when you get a flat and need the spare, the flat tire, will now trigger the low tire warning. He claims you just push the dash buottom to defeat the warning and go get the spare tire repaired
Like I said, the H3 monitors only four tires, the spare is not programmed in as one of the four. Your dealer is dreaming.

Let 20#s of air out of your spare and see what happens..... nothing. There have been 100s of threads on this already, search around if you like the topic.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by yuflesh
You sure on that? I took some pictures, and it says 30 on the door (35 for spare).

See images that I attached. Those are from the H3 (by the door)

Tires are Good Year Wrangler GT/S. I was told when I bought it they are original tires. Size matches, not sure about make.

Max inflation on the tires says 44 psi.

Suggestions? Should I still go to 38 or 40 (I inflated all of them to 35).

Marko
The GYs are 44# max, the Bridgstones are 50# max and my MTZs are 50# max.
What I have seen is 35 appears to be the low edge of avoiding false TPMS alerts. So in your case, you may want to go up to 36, 37, or 38 cold (cold = a vehicle that has not been moving for 2 hours or more)...... making sure all 4 are exactly the same. This will give you a bit of a buffer over 35 and should kiss false TPMS alerts goodbye. You do not have to go to 38#.

I only run 40# for road trips when I know I will be on the Eway for a couple hours or more.

Last edited by Doc Olds; 03-14-2009 at 09:15 AM.