PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD honking noise while driving into a headwind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:51 AM
Question LOUD honking noise while driving into a headwind?

So I've had my H3 for a little less than a week, and on two occasions of interstate driving on windy days, I have been able to hear a lovely serenade from the brass band that lives under my dash.

Traveling at normal highway speeds (here they range from 55-75), if I caught the wind head-on, my whole rig would start screaming. The sound seemed to be coming from under the dash or sort of through the vents. Our old '99 Silverado makes a similar noise if the vent fans are on when the truck is started at below-zero temps, but in that one it stops if you turn the fans off or the truck warms up.

When this noise happened yesterday on the highway we tried to adjust the fan blower, no change. Tried to speed up, no change. Tried to slow down, no change. The sound only quit when I took on offramp and traveled crosswise to the wind.

And it is LOUD. It sounds like I am just laying on the horn, driving along. It sounds like SOMETHING is catching the wind and acting as a reed on a musical instrument.

And ideas where to start? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 01:08 PM

My 06 had a simillar noise which was coming from the plastic molding on the roof. Sealed it with some black goo and had no more problems. Mine sounded like a hi-pitched kazoo and it was hard to tell at first where it was coming from. Could be your problem.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM

Excellent tip! We will check there next. A kazoo is a good way to put it! If it isn't coming from there, is must be something similar, because it is very obviously happening because of something vibrating in the wind.

Thanks again!

Anybody else have any suggestions on what to check?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM

It's a known problem and the dealer will fix it. They remove the trim around the windshield and add some double sided tape and it will fix the problem. I've had no issues at all since it was fixed by the dealer.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

Same here, dealer did the tape trick and its gone.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:30 AM

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Was there a recall/bulletin on this or were your fixes covered under warranty? I've got no warranty coverage on mine. I HATE our local Hummer dealer...they also sell Chevy and Cadillac. We bought our Silverado from them a few years back, it was a horrible experience...every follow-up experience with them has been terrible also. I don't want to walk in there unarmed with all of the info because if I do, I know they'll try to dick me around.

Has anybody done the fix themselves? Between my husband, father in law, and brother in law maybe they can do it? Or is it best left to the dealer?

Last edited by NoDakH3; 02-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:46 PM

I did the fix on my 06 myself by learning from others on the forum. I went to the hardware store and got black silicon. Applied a bead just underneath the molding where it meets the windshield and then 4-6 inches on the roofline beyond that. It fixed my noise. I have noticed the same thing on my 08 in extreme headwind conditions but is not nearly as bad. The silicon I purchased was in an aerosol type can with a tip that reminded me of a whipped cream container. My 06 was under warranty but my nearest dealer is 2 hrs. away but by doing it myself I could be sure it was fixed to my satisfaction.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:32 PM

My problem has returned again! Any updates on the DIY job for this? I dont have time to take it to the dealer

Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 PM

I get the same noise from the faux (sorry for my ignorance on the actually name of the part ---->) boxes on the left/right side of the top of the hood. Like vents for the engine to breathe while in water? Whatever. I don't know what those things are called.

Anyhow, mine screams like a kazoo at high speeds only when the wind is blowing. Took it to the dealership, they said they fixed it, drove home on the freeway, f'n kazoo the whole way home. Took it back and said it's not fixed. They said they have no idea how to fix it. So, radio goes so loud to cover the sound that my GF won't go on trips on the freeway.

Anyone know how to fix those damn boxes so they don't squeal?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:20 PM

I still have this problem and dealer is not able to solve it! Warranty expired so its a lost case for me!

Sounds like a vuvuzela!