PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LOUD clicking / clunking under heavy load ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 AM
Banned
Default luxury, locker?

When you use either button with the padlock printed on it, the rear diff locks,
that would mean rear diff lock in 4 hi lock where we normally get a locked transfer case, but not a diff lock.
thats not how my lux,07 worked,no rear locker.
thats not how my adv,10 works, lockers frt and rear. separate buttons for diff lock functions in low lock only

is there a rear locker in the aussie 07 h3,lux?

Last edited by drtom; 12-21-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:13 PM

The ONLY H3/H3Ts that recieved the Cast Iron front diff from the factory are the following:

08-10 H3 Alphas (V8 4:10 gears) Regardless of the OffRoad Package or not
09-10 H3T Alphas (V8 4:10 gears) Regardless of the OffRoad Packager or not
09-10 H3/H3T Adventures (I5 with front and rear lockers 4:56 gears)

Any base or lux I5 will still have the aluminum front diff 06-10.

Old 12-21-2011, 11:38 PM

There you go inquiry solved on the CI.

I don't want to state something I can't know for sure but it would be strange for the button functions to be different on those Aussie models. But, hey your toilets swirl the opposite down there and the steering is on the other side.
I will ask a source that may know. That would mean a totally different approach to the control modules to do that and safety lock outs. Which would mean especially in hi lock would exceed 20 mph which on ours here is the limit when it becomes unlocked.
See about running your vin and see if it says it has a locker. An electrical wire running to the top of the diff is a dead give away there is a locker in there. Just trying to help you figure it out.
Here if you don't have one or more buttons with diagrams of an axle with and x in the middle, over to the right of the pass side air bag switch, there is no locker.
Comparison of two clusters. Mine in the vehicle has "passenger air bag" printed on it. Both these must be a newer version and have back lit symbols.
Name:  3390.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  62.9 KB

Last edited by Hunner; 12-23-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chad
Hey guys Thanx for all the responses!

On my dash I have 3 buttons, 4WD normal, 4WD high with a little padlock on the button also, and a 4WD low with a padlock printed on it too. When you use either button with the padlock printed on it, the rear diff locks, It skips the inside wheel just like a locker or mini spool / full spool.

Apparently the Australian models are not made in the same place as the U.S models so we may have different options.
OOPs, I didn't see this part.

NOPE the running gear (trans/T-case/diffs) are the same on ALL H3/H3Ts 2006-2010 regardless of the country they are (where) manufactured in.

The three buttons you are speaking of are as follows:
4^ = 40/60 T-case split between the front and rear axles
4^ with lock = 50/50 T-case split between the front and rear axles
4v with lock = 50/50 Tcase slit between the front and rear axles with the T-case being in a lower gear ratio (4.03:1 Adventure/Offroad and 2.XX:1 Base/Lux)

The only buttons that actually "lock" (electronic Eaton locker where both sides of the differential rotate at the exact same speed) either in the front or rear diffs are the buttons that HUNNER was kind enough to post above. Only H3/H3Ts with the 4 tires and an X at the differential have a locker installed form the factory. These HUMMERs were called either Adventure (I5) or OffRoad (V8) Packages.

Hope this helps for future use.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:06 AM

Wow I cannot believe how well you guys know your Hummers! You guys must live and breath them lol.

Ok so, il have a look at my dash tonight and il also jump under neath and look for a wire.

The only reason I thought it had a rear locker is coz when you select the 4WD either high or low with the padlock on it, if your on smooth concrete you hear the inside rear wheel chirping / screeching as you corner, and it takes way more gas pedal to make the car move if your turning

Anyway, il jump under her and have a look for a wire and also get a pic of my dash.

Thanx again for all the detailed replys!

Last edited by Chad; 12-23-2011 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by TAINTER

The only buttons that actually "lock" (electronic Eaton locker where both sides of the differential rotate at the exact same speed) either in the front or rear diffs are the buttons that HUNNER was kind enough to post above.*

Hope this helps for future use.
Well I don't think by memory that mine has either of the buttons with the X in the middle of the diff ... and even if it has I've never pressed it.

I just find it weird when I use the 2 other 4WD buttons on the right it seems like both rear wheel start turning like there locked ... coz in normal 4WD it eases around corners with very little gas use, and dosnt skip the inside wheel when cornering, but as soon as I select either 4WD buttons it acts like a locker ...

I've never had a 4WD with a locker but I've had plenty of cars where I have welded the diff or used mini or full spools and know how they feel and act ....*

Anyway before I waste any more of anyones time il do some investigating under neath her*

Thanx

Old 12-23-2011, 06:27 AM
Banned

if you ever drive in a circle in fresh snow you will see 4 tracks made by the wheels.
that means all 4 travel at different speeds when turning.
if the transfer case alone is locked,the front and rear wheels cannot turn at different speeds,hence the tire grab.
if you park on a hill,in a lock mode,with steering turned,the veh wont drift down hill because the wheels cant move at different speeds.

even though you have no locking diffs.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 AM

Driving in circles in fresh snow huh, sounds like fun.
I found that if you try to do a "dirt track" slide with stabiltrak on the dang thing will actually correct the slide. Tried it several times, it also briefly goes in limp mode so trying to cut the wheels and accelerate in the direction you want to go did not work.
I turned it off and managed a broadside slide and a 180 degree spin.
I was in 4 hi. Remote camera release, glad I missed the camera.
Name:  9648.jpg
Views: 909
Size:  58.3 KB
Name:  DAH_9722.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  160.8 KB

Old 12-26-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by drtom
if you ever drive in a circle in fresh snow you will see 4 tracks made by the wheels.
that means all 4 travel at different speeds when turning.
if the transfer case alone is locked,the front and rear wheels cannot turn at different speeds,hence the tire grab.
if you park on a hill,in a lock mode,with steering turned,the veh wont drift down hill because the wheels cant move at different speeds.

even though you have no locking diffs.
Ok, this is what I needed to hear! This explains the hard to accelerate whilst on sharp lock in 4WD high or low. Thank you sir! I can now sleep a little better lol!

Old 12-26-2011, 04:39 AM

And Hunner you look like ya having way to much fun there! I miss living in Canada for that! lol

Againa, thank you everyone that has helped me during this thread, its greatly appreciated!

Quick Reply: LOUD clicking / clunking under heavy load ...