PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Let the Discussion about ecu/ecm programming options begin

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Talking Let the Discussion about ecu/ecm programming options begin

Hey All,

Have been doing allot of research about hand held programmers, chips, ecu/ecm programming from a mail order firm and other options. I'm a novice at his type of stuff but am willing to learn. I'm in NO way fully or well versed but a quick study.

My hope is to start a discussion on multiple options...not just mail order programming.

I'm in need of an add on chips or hand held programmer for both 06 & 07 H3 I5.
Obviously two distinct different engines.

3.5l
3.7l

Spent about 5-6 hrs. researching and have come across the same information again and again...Namely that a hand held is not currently available for either of the platforms in question.

I'm wondering if any of the forum members are aware of a hand held or chip that was developed for the 06, 07?
Mabe they were available a few years back and have ceased production?

I've taken a look at PCM4less and at this time they do not offer a hand held programmer, which is inconvenient to say the least. I am hoping at some point they may.

Right now it seems to come down too Jet chip stage 1....
JDM ProM....Hypertech but they do not show the 06 as of this time and the 07 may or may not work from reading I've done.

Neither are exactly what we would like, alas they are the only ones viable. There are some older models I came across but could not find enough information.

Again, I've taken a look at PCM4less...

Chris

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 AM

What exactly are you looking to accomplish? Why is something not hand held something you're intersted in?

Old 02-22-2013, 04:40 AM

You need HP Tuners and a laptop to program.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

Is there something in the cheese over there???

You have been way over-thinking this..... say, are you an engineer?

You should have already done the PCMforless tune and be enjoying it. I will give you the short version of why you do not want a pretend Jet chip. The Jet module simply takes reality input from the motor and transmission sources and manipulates it so the PCM thinks something other than reality is happening and reacts by changing output. Will it boost performance, it can. Can it adapt, nope. Simple limited example (there are many): it pretends intake air temperature is cooler than it is by manipulating the real MAF voltage output, pretends the MAP input is different ... yada yada. So the PCM reacts by increasing fuel trim and spark curves thinking there is really a cooler denser air charge than exists. This makes power, power makes heat. Do this when its 90F and muggy, keep that fuel trim and spark curve, and watch your temp gauge climb. Can the Jet react? Nope. Add a load, fill the truck with people and gear, watch that temp gauge climb, can the Jet react? Nope. Can your PCM enter pre-overheat strategies? Not with the Jet feeding it false information, until it is really really hot. Then.... the PCM will not maintain the correct strategies because...... it is getting false information... and begins a really stupid cycle.

Can the Jet take out any TC?
Can the Jet recalibrate for larger tires?
Does the Jet remove the rev limiter?

Nope.

A PCM tune deals strictly in reality, real input, programmed reaction within a wide range of parameters. Some of those parameters you get to pick yourself. No Brainer.

An engineer and psychologist walk into a bar.... the engineer says: How's it goin? The shrink says: "Why do you ask?, does it appear that I am troubled, do I look concerned, do you have uncontrolled feelings of empathy, do you find yourself treating all people this same way, is it necessary to have an answer to all inquiries?" .... The engineer proceeds to explain with diagrams, arrows and captions until the bartender knocks him out. The shrink says.... I thought so.

Old 02-23-2013, 02:29 PM

Actually Doc,
Lol in a previous life (aka b4 being in the sm. biz I'm now in) I was a level 3 jr. admin. Programming plc, robots, coding and service / support. Also have programmed software and html/xml. Lol! So not quite an engineer.
I actually wanted to foster a constructive discussion about options to program the ecm/ucm/pcm/tccm/tcm.

Chris

Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM

Have nothing against hand held vs non hand held...
Chris

Old 05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Default Toad Software

Hi
I just bought TOAD tuning software and well try it on my hummer h3 2008
luxury Edition .
well keep you updated as i try it out .

Regards

Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM

Gr8!
Chris

Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM

What about a cutom street tune, wouldnt it be better than a premapped tune? Seeing how there tuning it specificaly to the way the truck drives and is modded?

Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 AM

I'd like to see the tune lean toward hi fuel efficiency. Gett'n there cheaper is more important to me then fast...lol!

Chris

Quick Reply: Let the Discussion about ecu/ecm programming options begin